• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upstate for nearly 4 weeks and 'brows asked me what I want to eat when I get back to the city. I said: Katz's pastrami, Sichuan food, sushi.

Katz's urges can be satisfied by Fedex. Sichuan and sushi not so much.

So I ended up eating here Friday night and although I feel kinda stupid for asking this is the pastrami sandwich the thing to order? I liked it and everything but I walked out kind of wandering is corned beef better?

We need to talk.

Ok.... Ginny had a very mediocre (not just "not great") p.sandwich there last year, which I tasted to make sure she wasnt just "not getting it", her being from a far different tribe and all. Hey, I know Katz' aint Brooklyn, but there are rituals involved and, if you followed them all religiously (will this post be deleted if this is my religion and I'm referencing it?) and still got a mediocre sandwich, well then. But, without the observance of the Laws of Katz, it's more than possible. So, you gotta ask yourself: was it your fault or theirs?! :unsure: :blush: :rolleyes:

(snip)Hey, I know Katz' aint Brooklyn, but there are rituals involved and, if you followed them all religiously (will this post be deleted if this is my religion and I'm referencing it?) and still got a mediocre sandwich, well then. But, without the observance of the Laws of Katz, it's more than possible. So, you gotta ask yourself: was it your fault or theirs?! :unsure: :blush: :rolleyes:

Yes.

Same thing has happened from time to time at Luger's and other venerated shrines of food.

Much as you'd like to think every plating will be superb, sublime, cut from the very best meat, etc sometimes it doesn't happen. Shit happens, now and then.

Same thing has happened from time to time at Luger's and other venerated shrines of food.

This reminds me how I badly I want to go to Luger's with a regular to find out what I'm doing wrong.

The Katz sandwich was good, I just wondered if the corned beef is better than the pastrami. I did tip the guy who made my sandwich.

This reminds me how I badly I want to go to Luger's with a regular to find out what I'm doing wrong.

The Katz sandwich was good, I just wondered if the corned beef is better than the pastrami. I did tip the guy who made my sandwich.

Why not order both and do a compare-and-contrast?

As for Luger -- I'm no regular (alas), but: do you always order the steak for even numbers, no matter how many in your party? I believe people say that's the way to go. Then again, it might just be that their style doesn't appeal to you. Hey, nothing wrong with that.

The corned beef is not better than the pastrami.

The corned beef is not close to being as good, as corned beef, as the pastrami is as pastrami.

To get corned beef as good as Katz's pastrami, you have to set the Wayback Machine to the late 70s or early 80s and go to the Leo-era Carnegie.

i will have to go with a regular the next time i'm in nyc. when we went with suzanne, i went up to the counter for our order, and didn't know to do anything special. the pastrami we got was so amazing, i may have to end my life if something better is available to those with the secret handshake. (though i may of course have got the good stuff entirely by accident.)

katz's reuben has corned beef in it, right? i'm ashamed to say i don't remember, though i remember that it was a very good sandwich.