decent late dinner options in boulder county

every once in a while we screw up dinner plans, and since we eat late, this means we start looking around at 9 pm for a place to go. 98% of restaurants in boulder and environs seem to close at 9 pm regardless of night. other than 24 hour places the only ones i can think of that serve dinner after 9 are aji and carelli's. neither is a place i would want to eat at unless i absolutely had to.

any suggestions? don't say frasca--though we could easily get a table after 9 just walking in, most weeknights, we're also not usually dressed in these situations for a dinner at frasca and nor are we planning to drop those kinds of sums. so, ideally, casual'ish places.

every once in a while we screw up dinner plans, and since we eat late, this means we start looking around at 9 pm for a place to go. 98% of restaurants in boulder and environs seem to close at 9 pm regardless of night. other than 24 hour places the only ones i can think of that serve dinner after 9 are aji and carelli's. neither is a place i would want to eat at unless i absolutely had to.

any suggestions? don't say frasca--though we could easily get a table after 9 just walking in, most weeknights, we're also not usually dressed in these situations for a dinner at frasca and nor are we planning to drop those kinds of sums. so, ideally, casual'ish places.

The Kitchen Upstairs, and Mateo (although after a certain recent mouthfuls review...). Also, I have heard that 4580 in "NoBo" stays open later than the norm, hopefully this is still the case. The website is no help, it just says 5:00 - close. No clarification on "close". However, Open Table allowed me to attempt a 9:45 reservation on this coming Wednesday night, and claims the hours of operation are 5 pm - 10 pm, Tuesday - Sunday.

And I keep seeing commercials that some place called "Wendy's" is open late.

pliss adjust price-points downward. i thenk yew!

Wendy's is too high for you? :P

One place (decidedly lower end) is Murphy's at 28th and Iris. I know, it's not lovely, but when I picked up the brother and sister-in-law at the airport, it was the only place I could get anything, but what we really wanted was a cocktail. We ended up ordering some food, but it's strictly bar fare. I certainly wouldn't make the drive to Boulder for it. I'll keep thinking about it, but I've lamented the lack of good medium priced food in Boulder for a while- it's either fast food cheap or high end expensive.

Casa Alvarez, if this info is still right. Cheap Eats: Casa Alvarez

MEXICAN|3161 Walnut St., Boulder, 303-546-0630; 502 S. Public Road, Lafayette, 303-604-4396;|$5-$11|

Boulder: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday- Thursday; 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.

Lafayette: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday-Saturday; Visa, MC, Amex (both); parking lot (both).

The Corner Bar at the Hotel Boulderado. (Menu served daily Mon-Fri 11:30am-11:45pm, Sat-Sun noon-11:45pm.)

Then there's always Harpo's Sports Grill (Arapaho and 28th). (Open 11:00 AM to 2:00 AM daily.) Can't say that I've been in there, or tried the food, though.

Conor O'Neills - kitchen open until 1 am every night. Website: http://www.conoroneills.com/boulder/

Dark Horse Website claims "open for lunch and dinner 11a, to 2 am" http://www.darkhorsebar.com/

Mountain Sun and Southern Sun are both opened until 1 am. http://www.mountainsunpub.com/

Old Chicago in Superior across McCaslin from Costco) is open until 2am daily, ditto the Longmont Old Chicago. Here's that website: Longmont

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of late-night food and the desire to acquire it in the Metro Area, I must caution anyone against ever staying in downtown Denver on a Sunday night. Cru had their doors locked before 10:00. We were at Jax earlier in the evening for a drink and to split an app, and when we walked back by, there was not a trace that anyone had been there at all that evening. Even our hotel (Monaco) quit providing room service from Panzano at 9:30 pm, which I think is a clinically insane practice.

Even in smaller places like Austin, you can still easily find a band to go watch and some Mexican food to inhale at 10:00 on a Sunday. Even, dare I say it, in Okla-frickin'-homa City in the Bible Belt. So what's wrong with Denver and Boulder? You would expect a college town like Boulder to have more 24-hour places or restaurants that are at least serving a late-night bar menu. Maybe the demand isn't there or the proprietors just want some time off, but I think "if you build it, they will come."