45th Annual Polish Home Bazaar 11/4 & 11/5

Hey all. I thought I'd give you a heads up about this. Every time I'm at my Polish friend's house, and we sample some great food...inevitably they say, "I got that at the bazaar..."

In addition to their traditional Friday night dinners...The Polish Home Association in Seattle has 2 bazaars a year (Holiday and Easter). For the bazaar, they fly in all kinds of great food from Poland. Also, the local women spend weeks pickling tasty treats and making perogie. Twice a year, this is where the local Polish folks get their fix.

Here's the scoop (scroll down for details):

http://www.polishhome.org/DefaultEng.htm

Expect to see perogie, cured meats, pickles and lots of other great tasty treats available for purchase.

If you go, be sure to say hi to my good friends Alison and her mom, Mira. They'll be working in the deli this year. (Hint: Mira's the importer of those fabulous meats....).

If anyone wants to meet me, I'll be there Saturday around 5:30 (after the Cadence open house).

Is there a Polish neighborhood in the Seattle area? Can you buy the heavy duty cast iron lamb cake molds at the Easter bazaar? The light weight aluminum ones really aren't as good.

There really aren't ethnic neighborhoods in Seattle, at least not in the same ways as in the Northeast and Midwest. George's Deli on Madison, across from the Sorrento, carries quite a few Polish items, but I don't know about cooking pans, etc.

My Polish roommate and I went to this today and loaded up on sausages - cabanosa and kielbasa - along with some raspberry syrup and a few baked goods. Didn't go to the dinner because we blew all our money on sausages, but it was very tempting. In the spirit of all things Polish we also stopped at the aformentioned George's where we picked up yet more sausage and a few things of canned fish, all of which took my roommate back to Chicago. I can't speak with quite so much authority, but it was all pretty good :P

That was a fun event to check out. I couldn't get NEAR the dinner-the downstairs room was packed and there was a line of people waiting to be seated. Also I didn't see any pickles! They did sell bags (50) of frozen pierogies and dinners to go, though, so you don't need to sit down to sample the food.

We went on Saturday for lunch & got a table after a brief wait. The food was quite good. nice pierogis, really good stuffed cabbage, Bill says the Barschzt was great, and I am now totally in love with dill pickle soup! (it sounds scary, but it's actually wonderful, and not pickle-y)

I bought their Polish Home cookbook from the sweet little grandmother whose soup recipe they use, and a jar of pickles (they still had plenty on Saturday) along with some kielbasa.

Sadly we were too full for dessert as the polish cheesecake looked mighty tasty, but I have the recipe now so I'll be trying it somewhere in here...

Oh and we got serenaded with Polish folk songs during our lunch which was very cool!

I bought their Polish Home cookbook from the sweet little grandmother whose soup recipe they use, and a jar of pickles (they still had plenty on Saturday) along with some kielbasa.

I have to cookbook too! My friend Ala gave me a copy and highlighted some of their family favorites for me. There are a couple barszcz (borscht) recipes in the book. The one that's highlighted is the Christmas Eve Barszcz on p. 11. I've had it before and it's fabulous. Check out the technique for making that sour beet juice...wow.

The Bigos/Hunter's Stew on p. 38 is also really good. My friend's family makes a huge batch of that every year for their Christmas open house. The food is always amazing and the bigos is the dish I most look forward to.

I also like those beef rolls on p. 39. I wasn't so sure about the pickle on the inside, but it's actually really good.

Did you get a chance to check out the pottery? I was really surprised at the prices for some of those painted dishes and stuff. Elsewhere, you see even the smallest dishes for $50 or more, but at the bazaar, I picked up some fun pieces for $10. I can't believe how expensive those dishes are around town....

I'm glad to hear everyone had a nice time at the bazaar!

Here's photos from the bazaar on my Flickr account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58056395@N00/...57594364015266/

That guy with the Polish outfit said many years ago, he custom ordered a pair of pants from Poland. Then the Pope (John Paul) came into office, and the tailor actually gave the first pair to the Pope! The work is so finely detailed...he had to wait 2 more years to finally receive these pants.

The recipe for Christmas Eve Barszcz calls for 1 cup sour beet juice. To make sour beet juice: Place 6 beets cut into cubes, 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1 slice rye bread in a jar and cover with warm water. Place a cheesecloth over the jar and set aside. After 5-6 days, juice will begin to ferment.

• 4 months later...

Heads up...Ive got the date for the Spring Bazaar. It's one day only...Saturday March 31st.

Polish Home Association

1714 18th Avenue

Seattle, WA

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't make it to the last one and I have no excuse since I live only a block away. Anyone else think they'll make it?

it thrills me that Polish food has so many fans (hey, i have a pot of bigos going on right now) and i'm so impressed that you guys make barszcz from scratch! but gotta straighten out the pierogi spelling - pierogi is plural (like ravioli... singular: pierog but who can only eat one?!)

and kabanosy - i haven't had those in years, not since i was a kid. it was hard to get then (with martial law and all)

christ, i used to do some folk dancing too in school, remember those costumes

it thrills me that Polish food has so many fans (hey, i have a pot of bigos going on right now) and i'm so impressed that you guys make barszcz from scratch! but gotta straighten out the pierogi spelling - pierogi is plural (like ravioli... singular: pierog but who can only eat one?!)

Ooooh....bigos! I'm drooling just thinking about it! My Polish friends have a huge open house on Christmas day (150 people) and bigos is the dish I most look forward to. YUM.

Thanks for the vocab lesson on pierogi. I happily made a tripple batch of potato pierogi on Monday...and you can bet I didn't eat just one! :P