Class was great - Phil has an easygoing style and makes the comfort of the audience his priority. The short ribs were awesome, the world's easiest chocolate brulee got great reviews, and the night started with Rancho Gordo beans which were darn tasty. The pizza was yummy too - I used the dough recipe tonight with my niece and it turned out great!

I was the proud recipient of my own bag o' beans. Yum!

Definitely a don't miss the next time around. The only thing I found disconcerting was that the "Taste of the California Wine Country" served some non-californian wines?!?!?

Class was great - Phil has an easygoing style and makes the comfort of the audience his priority. The short ribs were awesome, the world's easiest chocolate brulee got great reviews, and the night started with Rancho Gordo beans which were darn tasty. The pizza was yummy too - I used the dough recipe tonight with my niece and it turned out great!

Definitely a don't miss the next time around. The only thing I found disconcerting was that the "Taste of the California Wine Country" served some non-californian wines?!?!?

Well, now you know what they drink in California.

Ha! I was just going to say I can't afford to drink California wine!

Ha! I was just going to say I can't afford to drink California wine!

I seem to remember you, I and others having some very good non-California wines in San Francisco this past June.

Well, I could have recommended some California wines, but my taste runs to places like Terra Valentine, Reverie, Rutherford Grove and Regusci. All cab producers and at a price point that not all people want to spend for a bottle of wine. I also wanted to keep the price of the class very reasonable so I went with the one's they serve.

There were 35 people in the class and all the class surveys all came back in the 'excellent' category.

Rancho............I passed around a few bags of your beans. Everyone was amazed at the tiger's eye beans! I gave a bag to LHG because she was there to support me and not make fun of me. Next time I am in Napa, I would like to come and visit you so I can say I met the "great one". One of the wineries wants me to do a food and wine pairing with their wines, so I will definately put the Tuscan Bean Salad made with your marrow beans on the menu.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Austin yesterday at Central Market and met Phil and Jane. Had a nice visit--he was doing a wine and cheese pairing later--alas, I could not stay. I love Austin and Central Market.