Fresh ham roast

Uncured would mean not salted, brined or smoked. Just cooked. I'd just chop it up and add to ANY type of beans, cabbage or chowders. Or, like I said, sauce it up to stand on its own. Or serve it with eggs for breakfast. Make ham salad for sandwiches. Chop, brown and casserole it with potatoes, asparagus and creams/cheeses. There's practically nothing you CAN'T do with it.

Ah! So, I could easily use it in the greens I just bought! :blink:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am speaking into a void.

Not completely. :blink: I'm still quite baffled by all of this terminology. If the meat I have in my fridge didn't say it was smoked uncured fully-cooked ham, I wouldn't consider using it with the greens. Because if it wasn't smoked or cured, I'd still be quite unsure of what to do with it.

Okay, my mistake. Your meat is smoked - therefore it's not just cooked pork. Rebecca confused me by telling you that your meat was uncured, meaning unsmoked. :blink:

Actually Rebecca didn't say that--that's what my package says. "Smoked Uncured Ham" fully-cooked. I was intrigued, so bought it. I have no idea what it really is, but I'll let you know after I try it. :blink:

I'm carefully reading all of this. I just bought (at Costco) a small, boneless "smoked uncured ham" that I've been unsure how to prepare. It does say that it's fully cooked, so I'm guessing that it is just like regular ham, but not salted?

Uncured would mean not salted, brined or smoked. Just cooked. I'd just chop it up and add to ANY type of beans, cabbage or chowders. Or, like I said, sauce it up to stand on its own. Or serve it with eggs for breakfast. Make ham salad for sandwiches. Chop, brown and casserole it with potatoes, asparagus and creams/cheeses. There's practically nothing you CAN'T do with it.

Emphasis added.

Sorry for the confusion. I read her post without reading yours properly.

Arrgghh. My teeth are grinding. I did not make myself clearly understood. Sorry. An item may be cured by salting, brining, smoking, drying and other ways known to the ages. It can also be fully cooked without curing. It can also be fully cooked AND salted. Or brined. Or smoked. The kicker here for using it is the "fully cooked" information. This means that it should be safe for human consumption upon purchase without having to submit it to further heat treatment. It is ready to eat. Maybe not too tasty but probably won't kill you if eaten cold.