Santa Monica farmer's market driver

It's extraordinarily difficult to even require recertification of a driver's license on account of age. Forget trying to take away a license.

NPR had a piece last night about the furor over special equipment to be installed in the cars of convicted drunk drivers to assure they're not drinking and driving again. Very controversial in many places. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. The guy's lucky he's not behind bars.

ah, the memories. that was my last day shopping at the santa monica farmers' market before we packed the house up for our drive to colorado.

Then we must have only one degree of separation, too! The Coleman Family Farms sell at SMFM.

I don't understand how this type of accident happens. I just lost a fellow museum docent when she stepped on the gas instead of the brake and ran into the wall of the bank, killing herself. And how can you run over ten people without stopping? Just don't understand. New over-sized boots?

One driver was 76, the other 74.

Yeah, that appears to be the case. Mental confusion or similtaneous stroke/heart attack. Syndrome doesn't usually happen with young people. However, there was a problem a while back with cars shooting forward upon being put in gear. The Audi had a lot of lawsuits. I can't change gears into Reverse or Drive in my Honda CRV without having my foot on the brake. So obviously things changed and drivers weren't all to blame.

i don't think you have to necessarily be old/doddering to panic after you've already put your foot on the wrong pedal and plowed forward into a crowd, and further exacerbate the damage. a lot of people do the absolute wrong things when they've hit icy skids etc. despite intellectually knowing what they're supposed to do (i know i have).

if the numbers suggest that those who accidentally press the wrong pedal and plow into people in the first place are predominantly old/doddering that's a different matter.

Had a lady a month or so ago run her car into the front of my work building. She went over 2 curbs and 20 feet of sidewalk, narrowly missed the outside break area (where people were sitting at the time) and took out a 10 foot section of brick wall, knocked the toilets off the wall of the men's room, and the force of the impact knocked items off of wall shelving in the back of the store.

She was an older lady who hit the gas pedal instead of the brakes when pulling into the parking spot. She was very disoriented after the incident, don't know if it was due to injuries or just stress.

It happens a lot. Just one parking spot over and she would have run over a couple people eating their lunches. We were lucky.

She was very disoriented after the incident, don't know if it was due to injuries or just stress.

Or maybe medication? I know some old people still driving (one is 96!) who are taking 25-30 prescription drugs every day.