What are you watching?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

Apocalypse Now Redux, which I don't know remember if I've ever seen (though seen the original more than a few times).

Not exactly the most pleasant movie (like there's a pleasant movie about the Vietnam War); pretty great though.

More Kaurismaki. Shadows in Paradise and Ariel. In the latter, with the characters in a horrific situation featuring blood and death, you get this one line, he’s been building from the earliest scenes — “What does this button do?” — which is hilarious.

Just starting on Match Factory Girl.

The Match Factory Girl. These are great. 

He acknowledges Ozu’s influence and there are some formal elements clearly borrowed from Ozu.

But I can’t help thinking that, as sure as there will be attempts to make a match for a slightly older single woman in an Ozu movie, someone in a Kaurismaki movie will turn his back on an obvious thug and get smacked in the head with a plank of wood.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:18 PM, splinky said:

The Harder They Fall on Netflix. Killer soundtrack, as well

I strongly suggest you all take @splinky's suggestion, if you haven't already. She is very wise. And the soundtrack is awesome.

• Like 1

Kaurismaki got even better. Le Havre (2011) is astonishing on so many levels. 

- The story and the message are inspiring. Might need a box of tissues with this one.

- He has his usual repertory of Finnish actors, but acting in French.

- There are plenty of visual quotes from Ozu, for example the very last shot. But I nearly fell out of my seat when he referenced Dreyer in the last scene in the hospital. I would put it down to my imagination, but if a director who references Ozu all the time appears to reference Dreyer, he's probably referencing Dreyer.

- That scene is mindblowing anyway.

- Personal note. There's a cameo by the singer Little Bob Piazza. He is from Le Havre and I remember visiting him at his parents' apartment (where he was still living) and having lunch with the family.

Rebecca Hall's directorial debut Passing on Netflix. Visually, it's highly stylized. Well acted, but I was so puzzled by the casting choices that I did some searches and found an interview in which she explains very thoughtfully what's going on there. Easy to forget Hall is mixed race even though one factually knows her mother is Maria Ewing; she's played so many "English roses."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/11/13/rebecca-hall-passing-netflix/

• 2 weeks later...

Loved Asako I & II. Maybe I just like Japanese cinema. I never planned that. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, director.

The other movie of his available on Criterion runs 5 hours, so maybe I’ll set aside a week to watch it.