What are you watching?

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

And I remember for a brief period it served a Jewish menu.

Jewish and Puerto Rican, if memory serves. I was so sorry when it closed. It was kind of my ideal place to see music (i.e., good sight-lines, table service, not too loud). I saw Main Squeeze there too, and if you can't have a good time watching a semi-proficient all-female accordion band, you're just not trying.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

On 1/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, small h said:

Joel Coen's MacBeth with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. Obviously, the  acting and directing are good, but it was the cinematography and the sound design that really blew me away. Also an interesting choice of aspect ratio - we're so used to 16:9 that squarish looks almost like portrait.

Agree with the cinematography and the aspect ratio being very effective. I think the set design was wonderful as well.

5 hours ago, small h said:

Jewish and Puerto Rican, if memory serves. I was so sorry when it closed. It was kind of my ideal place to see music (i.e., good sight-lines, table service, not too loud). I saw Main Squeeze there too, and if you can't have a good time watching a semi-proficient all-female accordion band, you're just not trying.

It was an amazing space for a couple of years. I saw some crazy experimental music upstairs. I am pretty sure my wife performed on the main stage. I know I ate there with the legendary omnivorette. But it’s all a blur.

The Gilded Age. Yawn. We've seen this premise, we've seen these characters, we've seen these narratives. (What I'm getting at here, is that it's very predictable.) I'm not a fan of Bridgerton, but at least it had the capacity to surprise me. Great clothes, though! And Stanford White is a character, which got me thinking about the whole Evelyn Nesbit thing - I'd forgotten all about that.

2 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

yep. pretty much. Also did you notice how the CGI exteriors were hard uncanny valley? We'll give it another episode or two, but its lame.

I didn't, but I will look. The whole thing is so sound-stagey. Which works for the interiors, mostly, but Fifth Avenue looks like a very fancy Sesame Street. Are you telling me there's no horse manure on the street? Because I'm not buying it.

8 hours ago, small h said:

The Gilded Age. Yawn. We've seen this premise, we've seen these characters, we've seen these narratives. (What I'm getting at here, is that it's very predictable.) I'm not a fan of Bridgerton, but at least it had the capacity to surprise me. Great clothes, though! And Stanford White is a character, which got me thinking about the whole Evelyn Nesbit thing - I'd forgotten all about that.

Have you seen the movie version of "Ragtime"?

5 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Have you seen the movie version of "Ragtime"?

Yes, when it came out. I just read the synopsis to refresh my memory, but my memory refuses to be refreshed. It's possible I was high when I saw it (would not have been out of the question in 1981, but now I don't like to waste the time or the money).

I am embarked on Koyabashi’s The Human Condition, a Japanese epic of the Second World War. Character-driven, beautifully photographed. The whole thing is about ten hours and I will do an hour or so a day.

One interesting thing is the presence of Chinese and Korean characters and the Japanese subtitles for them. Happily those subtitles run down the screen, top to bottom, not encroaching on the English subtitles across the screen at the bottom.