What are you watching?

On recommendation from Deb Van D, we've now plowed our way thru 6 seasons of "Inspector George Gently", a British police series that can be found in its entirety on Netflix and has been broadcast in pieces on cable (BBCTV I think). Pretty good, although Season 5 seemed to lack the sharpness of the other seasons.

Here you go -

I admit it. I'm a sucker for British crime shows. Prime Suspect, Morse, Inspector Lewis. I watch them all.

Lately I've been watching one that's new to American TV - DCI Banks. The plot of each show pivots on two murders that seem unrelated but turn out to be connected. That sounds contrived but it actually works quite well. The story lines have plenty of twists and turns and the writers aren't afraid of dark subjects.

The lead character is annoyingly intense but in a believable way. Not too many soft edges to Alan Banks. The supporting characters are nicely played and each show moves along briskly. So far I've watched 4 episodes and all of them have been enjoyable. Or at least as enjoyable as a show that sometimes features serial killers can be.

Highly recommended.

At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

• Like 5
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

This is a very basic question: how do you find out what's on? I'm serious--I look at the listings in the NY Times (via Arts, not Television) and while I can find lots of channels, I have the feeling there must be more out there, maybe something worth watching. What I find usually isn't. Once in a while I find when the Sherlock Holmes Benedict Cumberbatch show is on, or Inspector Lewis, and we watch it. But then I don't remember what night it was, and I can never find it again. Yeah, yeah, sometimes the series has ended so of course I won't find it on again. But where do you all learn about the things you keep saying are good? Please help out a TV ignoramus. TIA

BTW: we have never tried Netflix or anything like that. Don't know how. Also don't know how to record with the built-in DVR.

Luddite.

At any rate, if you have TWC with a remote control, you can search for any program by hitting the "b" button & entering the info. Or the "a" key to list channels. Or, you can go to an "on demand" channel (like "prime time on demand") and search for the show you want. Or, if you find any show that's on the guide, you can scroll to it, then press the red "rec" button, which will ask you if you want just this one episode or to record the series whenever it's on. It'll automatically DVR it when it's on & you can retrieve them or see what's scheduled to be recorded by hitting the green "list" key.

Experiment. You can do it. It's no harder than MF. Or the subway system.

But . . . but . . . I grew up riding the subway, so that's like breathing. TV was just a black-and-white with channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 (and eventually UHF, but not much). Later, color, but still the same paucity of channels. TV is not in my blood.

Still, thanks for the DVR instructions.

What do you have? Tv & cable box?

Is your tv a "smart" tv? I.e., does it have netflix, etc?

I assume you don't have Roku or Apple Tv?

Are you looking for ideas of what to watch or do you want to know how to find the schedule for what you already want to see?

In addition to the "On Demand" section, I'm sure your cable remote has a "Guide" button, which will open a complete quide that allows you to scroll through all the channels and check shows coming up in the future.

I use Yahoo's version of Zap2It to plan my weekly TV viewing. You can set it up to show only those channels you receive/watch. I find it easier to look up and down a list of channels on my laptop/tablet and move from day to day on Zap2It than via the TWC Guide.

As for ideas on what to look for in the future or what I might be missing now, I follow [via blog posts or Twitter] the following critics/reviewers/early announcers:

Alan Sepinwall [HitFix],

Maureen Ryan [HuffPost] ,

Todd VanDerWerff, [Vox] and

David Bianculli [best bets for tonight's TV].

When I was a lad, we 'ad two channels. BBC and the riff raff.

In the late 80s I spent an entire week in the UK during which every single time the TV was turned on a fucking snooker tournament was being broadcast.

Yes, indeed.

I remember the nation being shocked when live coverage of the Iranian embassy siege in 1980 interrupted an important world championship snooker game.

But the real suffering which scarred my childhood was Sunday evenings. For an hour or so, both channels carried people singing hymns.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard a piece this morning on NPR about some guy who bought and fixed up the house they used (in Cleveland!) and runs it as a museum for the movie. Leg lamp and all.

We only watched it from the bit with the dogs and the turkey to the end, and then all the way through once. Loved Jean Shepherd's pulling a Hitchcock!

• 1 month later...

Well, the final season of my favorite show, "Justified" is off to a fantastic start. The scenes with Boyd Crowder and Raylan Givens are some of the best ever with some of the most interesting dialogue you will ever hear on a TV show. The writing still remains so loyal to Elmore Leonard's original. Kudos to everyone involved for not dumbing down the show.

• 2 weeks later...