lovelynugget

What are you watching?

Tying up a loose end Sous Le Soleil de Satan is great. Remember when Depardieu was just a really good young actor?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

#BlackAF...One thing my family circle found funnier than the show was my daughter failing to remember the title, and coming up with I’m Black FU.

I am reminded of Camryn Manheim's book, Wake Up, I'm Fat!, which she said one fan referred to as I Woke Up, and I was Fat!

17 hours ago, small h said:

I am reminded of Camryn Manheim's book, Wake Up, I'm Fat!, which she said one fan referred to as I Woke Up, and I was Fat!

😄

Posted (edited)

Episodes 7 & 8 of "The Last Dance."  Michael's father is murdered.  Michael quits basketball.  Michael plays AA baseball, hits .202.  Michael returns to the Bulls (as #45), acts like a dick but regains his skills (as #23).  What will happen when he and the Bulls face Reggie Miller and the Pacers?  Stay tuned.

Edited by hollywood
to make an addition
  • Like 1

So, Jay-Z highlighted game 6, by which he apparently meant the winning game of the second three-peat of 1998.  https://theundefeated.com/features/nba-finals-history-jordan-hits-jumper-over-russell-to-win-1998-title/  To me, in terms of Jordan's character, Jay should have focused on game 5 of the prior year's series in which Michael played not with the flu but with food poisoning and won.  Anyway episodes 9 & 10 have their merits.  

Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky, which just showed up on the Criterion Channel.  I first saw this at a local film club when I was a child, and found it absolutely terrifying. The images of the German knights dying on the ice while the evil priests look on; the execution of toddlers by dropping them into a fire; it's strong stuff.

What I didn't know then, but which is obvious now, is the extent to which the visuals and costumes borrow from Lang's Die Nieblungen, so I come away yet again amazed at Lang's genius. Not that Eisenstein is shabby.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky, which just showed up on the Criterion Channel.  I first saw this at a local film club when I was a child, and found it absolutely terrifying. The images of the German knights dying on the ice while the evil priests look on; the execution of toddlers by dropping them into a fire; it's strong stuff.

What I didn't know then, but which is obvious now, is the extent to which the visuals and costumes borrow from Lang's Die Nieblungen, so I come away yet again amazed at Lang's genius. Not that Eisenstein is shabby.

I saw the movie at Film Forum couple of months after my chorus actually performed Alexander Nevsky (with the St. Petersburg Orchestra, no less).  It was really cool.

Rene Clair, Sous Les Toits de Paris (1930).  Curiously, this is half a silent movie, half a talkie. Did they get the technology halfway through? 

"Clair accepted the inevitability of the talking picture but at first retained very specific views about the way that sound should be integrated into film. He was reluctant to use dialogue or sound effects naturalistically, and maintained that the alternate use of the image of the subject and of the sound produced by it - not their simultaneous use - created the best effect."

On 5/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, hollywood said:

So, Jay-Z highlighted game 6, by which he apparently meant the winning game of the second three-peat of 1998.  https://theundefeated.com/features/nba-finals-history-jordan-hits-jumper-over-russell-to-win-1998-title/  To me, in terms of Jordan's character, Jay should have focused on game 5 of the prior year's series in which Michael played not with the flu but with food poisoning and won.  Anyway episodes 9 & 10 have their merits.  

Michael Michael Michael.  https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/sam-smith-michael-jordan-fabricated-last-dance

I hadn't watched "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' for over a year.  I watched the current show.  It appeared to take a page from "Timeless," as the agents went back to 1931 to confront an attempted assassination of FDR.  Nice period stuff.