What are you watching?

1. Pass Over on Amazon, written by Antoinette Nwandu, directed by Danya Taymor, shot by Spike Lee. It's Waiting for Godot meets the Exodus meets Black Lives Matter. A little slow to get going, but then - whoa!

2. Hannah Gadsby's Douglas on Netflix. Come for the Donatello, stay for the autism. Or something. I laughed a lot. Maybe too much. H was starting to think there was something wrong with me.

I gave Miss Quarantine a try. It's an original comedy special that spoofs beauty pageants, and it streamed on YouTube last night. I lasted about 4:00.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

Ryan Murphy's "Hollywood."  Folks trying to make it in post war tinsel town.  I've seen three episodes.  Jim Parsons and Dylan McDermott seem to be having the most fun with their roles.

Mindy Kaling's "Never Have I Ever." Another offering in the genre of nerdy teenager determined to have sex before the end of the school year. Only this time the nerd is an Indian-American. And the narrator is John McEnroe. We've only watched the first two episodes thus far.

And we finally finished Shtisel.

Going through my collection of film noir.  Rewatched Kurosawa's Drunken Angel with a very young Toshiro Mifune; currently about 20 minutes into the Richard Widmark Yank-small-time-criminal-in-London story Night and the City. Am saving The Naked City for movie night with N.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Over the last several days, I rewatched the pilots of Batman and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

The Batman has aged a lot better.

Last night I watched the latest episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  Pretty crazy.  Not sure why but Ming-Na Wen seems to be a little shorter.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

(Soon I'll have to rewatch the the pilot of Get Smart, which I've always thought was like the best pilot ever.)

I guess The Honeymooner's didn't really have a pilot.  Star Trek's was good too.

Finally saw Unorthodox, which we enjoyed greatly.

Its "based-on" departure from the original book -- of which I have extras, if anyone wants; PM me -- was distracting, since when that came out in 2012, I'd followed not only the press reaction but also the Orthodox campaign against the author. Even though the author had much influence on this year's miniseries, I now wanted to know what had been faithfully rendered and what had been fudged. The reviews and critiques were a fine trail of crumbs to follow. Yes, there was an answer to why the lead character, after a lifetime of internalized strict modesty in dress, instantly found the perfect pair of revealing jeans.

And yet it wasn't till a few days later, while I was scrubbing the glam "leather effect" bathroom porcelain we'd kept from our home's previous owner, that I remembered that he too had fled his community. He was a conservative-looking, grandfatherly Lubavitcher who'd put mezuzahs on all the right doorways, and had heavily framed photos of his Orthodox-dressed huge family on the walls, and whose only change to the kitchen (which dated from the owner before him, of the Fox's U-Bet family) was to add a raised divider to the double sink (see photo) so the meat and milk juju would not splash across. That Lubavitcher was gay, with a young and black boyfriend no less, so he had had to make what is now our home his home, exiled from his own people, separated from his family.

352205164_kitchen-SWviewwwallsharedbydiningroom.thumb.JPG.ecb152ae8763ab42add196513e176ba0.JPG

Of course I learned that backstory only after we'd bought the place, from neighbors in the elevator and in the lobby, gossip dropped one bread crumb at a time.

57 minutes ago, Josh Karpf said:

the owner before him, of the Fox's U-Bet family

My cousin (by marriage) is of the Fox's U-Bet family! Most likely it's a pretty big family.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, bloviatrix said:

Mindy Kaling's "Never Have I Ever." Another offering in the genre of nerdy teenager determined to have sex before the end of the school year. Only this time the nerd is an Indian-American. And the narrator is John McEnroe. We've only watched the first two episodes thus far.

And we finally finished Shtisel.

I'm two episodes in. I like it quite a bit - I feel very invested in the lives of the characters.