What are you watching?

I am two episodes into Unorthodox, after first watching about half an hour of a 2013 docu-drama of the same name, thinking "This isn't what I expected." The latter created by Anna Wexler, the former by Anna Winger added to the confusion.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

The Get Smart pilot really IS all that.

Mel Brooks showed such promise.  Too bad he just sort of fizzled out after that.  If only he had gone on to write and direct some painfully funny movies or write such a Broadway musical.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I am two episodes into Unorthodox, after first watching about half an hour of a 2013 docu-drama of the same name, thinking "This isn't what I expected." The latter created by Anna Wexler, the former by Anna Winger added to the confusion.

What I hate is when a book creates such confusion.

IMG_4838-1.jpg

there were some interesting interviews here, both with Feldman (who now lives in Berlin) and Schrader. The piece that felt off to me was also what Feldman says was the least likely to happen in reality ... the fact that the character was able to develop outside friendships right away. Still, it felt like it was done in a pretty balanced way, and I think coming from any conservative community there was a lot that felt familiar. Shira Haas is an incredible actress. 

Shira Hass and Deborah Feldman are going to be participating in an online event hosted by the Streicker Center at Temple Emanu-el on Monday at 11 am. It's free. And if you can't watch live, it will be available for streaming.

Register for it here.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Shira Hass and Deborah Feldman are going to be participating in an online event hosted by the Streicker Center at Temple Emanu-el on Monday at 11 am. It's free. And if you can't watch live, it will be available for streaming.

Register for it here.

Cool, thanks! 

On 6/10/2020 at 6:27 AM, joethefoodie said:

Boy, there are some good genetics in that family!

Yeah, Max managed to get Anne Bancroft's intelligence and looks and Mel Brooks's coruscating wit.

What could it have possibly been like to have parents like those?

(You get the feeling that, to him, they're just his parents.  Which to everyone else in the world just seems bizarre.)

The thing about that PSA is that, before The Quarantine, Mel would stop at Max's house every evening to check in with his son and daughter-in-law and grandkids on his way to dinner with his best friend, Carl Reiner.

Can you imagine how hilarious whatever was said over those nightly dinners was?

I almost feel like the cessation of Mel Brooks's nightly dinners with Carl Reiner is more of a loss to Western culture than everything else that's been stopped by The Virus.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

The thing about that PSA is that, before The Quarantine, Mel would stop at Max's house every evening to check in with his son and daughter-in-law and grandkids on his way to dinner with his best friend, Carl Reiner.

Can you imagine how hilarious whatever was said over those nightly dinners was?

I almost feel like the cessation of Mel Brooks's nightly dinners with Carl Reiner is more of a loss to Western culture than everything else that's been stopped by The Virus.

The other night I watched Haute Cuisine (French title - Les Saveurs du Palais) on Amazon. It's a French film from 2013 based on the story of Danièle Mazet-Delpeuch who was the first woman to be appointed private chef to the French president (Mitterrand). Simply charming.