What are you watching?

On 3/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, bloviatrix said:

We finally started watching Shtisel.

i am so digging this show. it's everything you want in a soap opera without the perfunctory and cringeworthy sex scenes. also, i will watch anything with Shira Haas in it. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

We just finished Shtisel a few nights ago, and I miss it already. Looking forward to Season 4!

And we started Anne with an E, which is another squeaky clean soap opera, and quite engaging. I loved those books as a kid.

I'm so glad you are enjoying Anne with an E. When it first started, I was wary as it took a lot of liberties with the books. I grew to really enjoy it, though, despite the differences, and was very disappointed when it was cancelled. I thought the casting of the actors who played Marilla, Matthew, Anne, and Gilbert was excellent compared to other productions (in each of the other productions I've watched, I've liked one or two of the actors, but never all four in the same production).    

I'm hoping they'll have a few two-hour sequels in the future, especially given how the series ended!

Marilla is a lot mushier than I remember from the books, although I may remember wrong. I get a strong Little House on the Prairie vibe (the tv version, not the book version), which is not a bad thing. Complete with Nellie Olson! I'm only about 5 episodes in, though, so things may change.

I have now watched ten of the eleven Bulldog Drummond movies available on the Criterion Channel. Most of them are execrable, but I have a quirk in my DNA which binds me to formulaic detective stories and thrillers.

Also I get the chance to shout either "Bulldog Drummond would never have done that in the books," or "Push his face in!"

Starting yesterday, and running for the next several Tuesdays (14 weeks in total), TCM is showcasing female directors, featuring films that almost never get screened in the US.  For example, some of yesterday's offerings included Chantal Ackerman's Je Tu Il Elle and Leontine Sagan's Maedchen in Uniform, one of the earliest films with lesbianism as a serious subject and made just as the Nazis were coming to power.  It's all built around this really interesting 14-part documentary, which if nothing else will be a great lesson in film-making techniques.  (I took a film studies class in college and still have the huge, detailed textbook.)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/women-make-film-tcm-documentary-1234749472/

In epics, we find our heroes engaged in a quest for a potentially unobtainable object (the Holy Grail, the Arc of the Covenant, etc.).  Episode 4 of Lovecraft Country finds our crew in search of the Book of Names.  This chapter seems to shout out to various Indiana Jones adventures both in perils encountered and shot selection.

It's strange that in a world in which people are embracing all sorts of conspiracy theories to try and explain their lives, Episode 5 of Lovecraft Country goes all in.  We get a shout out to "For Colored Girls..."   We get interracial sex, gay sex, straight sex, kinky sex, black clubs, drag clubs, changelings, lots of blood, racist cops, some sort of secret code a la The Gold Bug, Marshall Fields department store.  I did not see the kitchen sink but maybe I missed it.  

The Booksellers, a documentary about antiquarian booksellers that was in the theaters earlier in the year is finally on Amazon Prime. Watched it last night. And of course Fran Liebowitz makes an appearance.

@Wilfrid - you would like this.

I don't know if it was mentioned upthread, but Knives Out on Prime is an entertaining (if over-long) classic mystery spoof. Daniel Craig chews scenery with an outrageous southern accent. Ana de Armas is like some cute puppy everyone is kicking. And there are lots of sly references to pick up (the Jolly Jack Tar dummy from Sleuth for example).

On 9/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, bloviatrix said:

The Booksellers, a documentary about antiquarian booksellers that was in the theaters earlier in the year is finally on Amazon Prime. Watched it last night. And of course Fran Liebowitz makes an appearance.

@Wilfrid - you would like this.

Oh I just saw this: thank you.

Flipping through Netflix last night and discovered the newly dropped Young Wallander, which is basically a re-boot of the Henning Mankell series of novels. Instead of being set in the 70s when the Wallander of the novels would have been a young detective, it's set in current day. And the actor playing Wallander looks like a young Jonathan Groff (Spring Awakening, Hamilton). First episode is gripping, I can see that it's ripe for binging (although only 5 episodes). But, if you're like me and massive Mankell fan, the current day setting will be jarring.

Ratched, which is quite engaging, although the consensus among reviewers is that it is terrible. The production design is absolutely fantastic, everyone in the cast is someone you recognize, and I was invested in the what-comes-next. (Which I was not, with Lovecraft Country, even thought that's pretty stylin' also.)