What are you watching?

If you haven’t already seen them, the “Young Montalbano” series is every bit as good as the Montalbanos.  “Endeavor” does justice to the Inspector Morse stuff as well.  Haven’t gotten attached to “Young Sheldon” though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up trying to follow whatever the plot is on "Lovecraft Country."  Maybe that's the intended effect of this phantasmagoria of racism, history, allegory, fantasy, magic, potions, monsters, changlings, love, sexual peccadilloes, murder, allusions, name checks, references and easter eggs galore.  Whatever the story, the acting and all the craft behind the camera are amazing.  This is the proverbial heady stew.

On 9/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, bloviatrix said:

Flipping through Netflix last night and discovered the newly dropped Young Wallander, which is basically a re-boot of the Henning Mankell series of novels. Instead of being set in the 70s when the Wallander of the novels would have been a young detective, it's set in current day. And the actor playing Wallander looks like a young Jonathan Groff (Spring Awakening, Hamilton). First episode is gripping, I can see that it's ripe for binging (although only 5 episodes). But, if you're like me and massive Mankell fan, the current day setting will be jarring.

Binged the last 5 episodes last night. They cut the episodes with deliberate cliffhangers so of course you stay and watch the next one.

For those who have watched it, have you noticed they made a point of having a least one scene in every episode of him without a shirt on? It was getting so predictable that you could have started a drinking game around it.

And since we've been in the market for a new car, I found myself wondering -  Are Volvos considerably less epensive in Sweden? Would a police detective be able to afford an XC90 which tops out at over $80K in the US?

10 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

And since we've been in the market for a new car, I found myself wondering -  Are Volvos considerably less epensive in Sweden? Would a police detective be able to afford an XC90 which tops out at over $80K in the US?

the cost of living calculus is very different over there.

What is a reasonable % of income to spend on a car? I really have no idea as historically we have always been really cheap in that category. 

OK, according to google 35% of gross salary, so assuming slightly above average income based on experience he makes around EUR 80K and an affordable car should be around 28k. OK, kinda high, the used XC90's being sold through Volvo that I found online were more like 42k. Maybe he inherited some money from an aunt? 

The penultimate episode of "Lovecraft Country" went to a very dark place:  Tulsa, 1921.

This begs the question about possible endings.  Happy?  Doesn't seem likely.  Apocalyptic?  Possibly.  Somewhat hopeful?