What are you watching?

I watched the first episode of "Lovecraft Country," and thought it was terrible. Everyone tells me it got better after that. If there's more than one season, I mean the current season.

Criterion Channel has uploaded a number of less obvious Antonioni movies (i.e. not L'Avventura), so working my way through what I haven't seen before: The Lady Without Camelias, Le Amiche.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Everyone tells me it got better after that.

Everyone minus one (me). I watched the first four or five episodes - the KKK stuff is scary, but the monster stuff is just silly.

You want something good? The 40 Year Old Version is very good (and also pretty predictable, but still very good).

7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I watched the first episode of "Lovecraft Country," and thought it was terrible. Everyone tells me it got better after that. If there's more than one season, I mean the current season.

Criterion Channel has uploaded a number of less obvious Antonioni movies (i.e. not L'Avventura), so working my way through what I haven't seen before: The Lady Without Camelias, Le Amiche.

Lovecraft Country gets better, then it gets confusing but the acting is good.

Aaron Sorkin's "The Trial of the Chicago 7" on Netflix.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1070874/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0  As Sneak says, even though he hasn't watched it, Sasha Baron Cohen as Abbie Hoffman is amazing (probably more than the real Abbie).  The film does seem to capture the spirit of the day and the trial although I'm sure some rough edges have been smoothed.  Mr. Langella makes Judge Hoffman seem less crazed than he apparently was.  Another film could have showcased more of the efforts of Kuntsler and Weinglass and less of the defendants' antics.  Still, good show.

Michael Keaton has a small role as Ramsey Clark who had an interesting career that deserves its own film.

I also watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 and liked it a lot, although it got too Sorkin-y in some places. I should've played a game with myself and had a drink every time there was a walk-and-talk or an impassioned speech.

Also highly recommend David Byrne's American Utopia on HBO. One of the chorus members looks a lot like the guy who played Mike on Veep, only with eye makeup.

So episode 10 of "Lovecraft Country" concluded.  Viewers seemed to like it.  Critics found it a mixed bag in dealing with racial stereotypes but in some ways not being able to overcome them.  If you wanted horror, you definitely found that.  Now, there are discussions about a possible second season.

2 hours ago, hollywood said:

This is clever and amusing although not uproariously funny. 

Seconded. And I thought the Rudy thing was kind of a letdown, having read a lot of the pre-release hype. Maria Bakalova was excellent though, especially the fertility dance sequence.

• Like 1

Recently finished two seasons of Ramy on Hulu. It's about Ramy, a 1st generation Egyptian who lives in NJ trying to be an adult and failing miserably. Lots of unexpected plot lines. AMAZING acting and writing. Kudos especially to Hiam Abbass (I knew her previously as Marcia from Succession) and Mahershala Ali. The last episode of S2 was particularly raw.

lovecraft country. much as hamilton, i hope it will drive people to do their own followup reading and research. enjoyed seeing old chicago. i also think they really captured the horror of almost sundown in a sundown county and the psychic toll of avoiding the "monsters" in hopes of living to tell the tale.