What are you watching?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

On 10/14/2020 at 9:37 AM, Wilfrid said:

I watched the first episode of "Lovecraft Country," and thought it was terrible. Everyone tells me it got better after that. If there's more than one season, I mean the current season.

Agreed.  I couldn't get through it.

On 11/1/2020 at 11:16 AM, Abbylovi said:

Recently finished two seasons of Ramy on Hulu. It's about Ramy, a 1st generation Egyptian who lives in NJ trying to be an adult and failing miserably. Lots of unexpected plot lines. AMAZING acting and writing. Kudos especially to Hiam Abbass (I knew her previously as Marcia from Succession) and Mahershala Ali. The last episode of S2 was particularly raw.

I thought some of these were cute, but there seem to be a lot of these shows about lost young people amazed by fairly banal life experiences.  (High Maintenance on HBO was better.)  On the whole, Ramy's character was such a child I was annoyed by the whole thing.  The idea that all those women would fall in love with him?  Must be nice to be able to write your own love stories.

Just finished The Queen's Gambit.  My wife and I seem to be the only people who didn't like it.  I read the book years ago, and enjoyed it.  But I didn't understand some of the director's choices here.  The janitor was filmed as if he were a serial killer.  The mother's unhappiness is about as subtle as a kick in the face.  And the overall pacing was dreadfully slow.  It did get me to download a chess app for my morning commutes.

The Right Stuff on Disney+.  Pretty good so far.  I don't really remember much from the movie, so I can't tell how it differs.

Signs on Netflix.  Polish murder mystery that seems to be veering into sci-fi.  Pretty good.  Looking forward to the next season.

Teheran on AppleTv.  I really enjoyed it.  

The Boys on Amazon (Season 2).  Not quite as good as season 1, but lots of fun.

Perry Mason on HBO.  Was that discussed above?  Pretty good.  A little over the top on noir. I thought Tatiana Maslany didn't work at all, which was disappointing given how good she was in Orphan Black.

Rewatching Parks and Recreation to kill time.  Still funny.

I guess we'll start The Midichlorian soon.  The wife and I also seemed to be the only people who didn't like the first season.

Fargo Season 4.  The first 20 minutes of the first episode was just brilliant.  The rest has been pretty darn good.  Although I think Chris Rock is always Chris Rock and I can't see him in any other character.  The nurse lady is awesome.

9 minutes ago, Stone said:

I guess we'll start The Midichlorian soon. The wife and I also seemed to be the only people who didn't like the first season.

If you mean The Mandalorian, then you are not alone. But I'm alone in my own damn house, so I also have to watch the second season. Once it concludes, and we can just re-up our Disney+ for a single month.

Re-watched La Regle du Jeu on the Criterion Channel. Still hilarious and savage. But what really struck me with this, and some other old movies like the Marseilles Trilogy, is how crisp and clear the versions now are. Thinking back, I am pretty sure I watched these movies years ago on rented VHS tapes, and I remember La Regle and Cesar from the trilogy being murky and difficult to watch in the extreme.

Yes, VHS rentals. A different world.

On 11/1/2020 at 3:12 PM, small h said:

I liked her in Eyes Wide Shut. Lots of naked people in that, but I don't think she was one of them.

18 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

She certainly was.

All well and good, just not the same as from the 2nd or 3rd row in the theatre.