What are you watching?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, hollywood said:

If you want to see how low television can go, it's "Supermarket Sweeps" with Leslie Jones.

No way - they are currently advertising a show on CBS called "B Positive."

A sitcom, about a kidney transplant. To whit:

• Thomas Middleditch as Drew, the divorced father and therapist in need of a kidney transplant and a social life
    • Annaleigh Ashford as Gina, a former acquaintance of Drew who volunteers to donate her kidney to him.
    • Kether Donohue as Leanne, a party girl who also juggles multiple jobs.
    • Sara Rue as Julia, Drew's ex-wife, a realtor who aspires to climb the social ladder, and her attempt to get Drew more interested in her unfortunately led to Julia having an affair that resulted in their split.
    • Izzy G as Maddie, Drew and Julia's daughter.
    • Terrence Terrell as Eli, a football player Drew meets during dialysis treatment.

As someone who lost an old high-school friend to kidney disease (he suffered his whole life, and underwent 4, yes 4, kidney transplants over the course of his 60 or so years - when I visited him at MSK at the end, it was not pretty), and as someone who has another friend who deals with one kidney, and another friend who suffered (and died in her 50s) from diabetes and of course kidney disease, I find this more odious than anything ever put on TV (except maybe the apprentice). 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

No way - they are currently advertising a show on CBS called "B Positive."

I watched the first episode. It's your garden variety Chuck Lorre show - you laugh at a couple of things and cringe at the rest.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Not to mention sitcom Nazis.

Hah! My dad used to refer to "that show with the lovable Nazis" as the reason he only wanted me to watch PBS (I was very media-deprived as a child).

Blew through Queens Gambit.. I had a sleepless night and ended up watching the show from 1 am to 630 am... Watched a season of Fargo, finished this morning around 6 am..  Will start season 2 in the next few days. 

Criterion Channel has some Carl Dreyer, and I just watched Ordet for the first time. It's one of the most intense and gripping movies I've ever seen, especially the second half. For me, the ending (which is supernatural) doesn't detract from the movie's impact. Anyone curious should consult the Wikipedia page, but if you're going to watch it, the plot section will spoil the end for you.

The cinematography alone is breathtaking.

ETA: Okay, I did laugh out loud when it was revealed that one of the characters had been sent mad by reading Kierkegaard.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Daniel said:

Blew through Queens Gambit.. I had a sleepless night and ended up watching the show from 1 am to 630 am... Watched a season of Fargo, finished this morning around 6 am..  Will start season 2 in the next few days. 

Saw the first two additive episodes of Queen's Gambit.  Good stuff.  Made chess a lot more action packed than it might really be, but fun.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Daniel said:

My kid claims the chipper scenes are not accurate.  The body needs to be totally frozen to get through the machine.  Kids, what do they know?

On 11/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, Wilfrid said:

Criterion Channel has some Carl Dreyer, and I just watched Ordet for the first time. It's one of the most intense and gripping movies I've ever seen, especially the second half. For me, the ending (which is supernatural) doesn't detract from the movie's impact. Anyone curious should consult the Wikipedia page, but if you're going to watch it, the plot section will spoil the end for you.

The cinematography alone is breathtaking.

ETA: Okay, I did laugh out loud when it was revealed that one of the characters had been sent mad by reading Kierkegaard.

The Passion of Joan of Arc and Vampyre are also excellent.