What are you watching?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

On 12/16/2020 at 8:37 AM, mitchells said:

The Bee Gees documentary on HBO. Like their music or not, I doubt there are any musical acts who reinvented themselves so many different times. 

Many years ago I went to a Loser's Lounge show where they covered Bee Gees songs.  Almost all were from the pre-disco era.  I had no idea.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, small h said:

Ted Lasso, on Apple Plus. It's very sweet. I suppose I'll watch The Undoing next, which I predict will not be very sweet.

I watched the first episode of The Undoing.  HBO seems to think that whenever rich people and poor people get together, someone gets murdered.

26 minutes ago, Stone said:

I watched the first episode of The Undoing.

I keep seeing a lot of online hate for it, so I'm reconsidering my plan to watch it.

26 minutes ago, Stone said:

HBO seems to think that whenever rich people and poor people get together, someone gets murdered.

I think that should just be "people." Income level not important!

16 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

We started watching The Jewish Enquirer on Amazon last night. It's a 6 episode British series about a journalist who writes for UK's 4th largest Jewish newspaper. The humor is very Larry David, Curb-ish.

Eh. Made it thru 2 episodes. A few laughs but they are trying too hard to be like Curb. 

Tonight I watched Mothra (quaintly, I own it in a physical form).

Toho Studios from the mid-'50s to the mid-'60s was one of those miraculous pop culture instances where a pop producer was exactly tied into the zeitgeist and so, without pretension, created works that were deeply meaningful as well as endless fun.

The last time I saw this movie was in a year that had a "6" in the third position, so I doubt I caught the resonances.  But I have to say that I loved it even more tonight, understanding what I now understand, than I loved it then.  (And although I haven't watched the new Hollywood kaiju revival movies, I am positive there's no fucking way they are anything close to these Toho movies artisitcally.)  It's especially striking in this movie that the evil foreign country that you think is supposed to be Russia turns out to be the U.S.A.  Toho really knew how to lay it between the lines.

The Peanuts -- both gone now -- will live forever on the basis of this movie.  They've certainly been stuck in my mind since the early '60s.

Wonder Woman 84 (aka WW84, which I kept reading as World War 84). And there's 2+ hours I'll never get back. The action scenes were fun, although my gold standard for that sort of thing is now Mad Max: Fury Road, and WW84 did not measure up. The story, the script and most of the performances, were...well, let's just say that if I'd paid to see it in a theater, I'd be throwing stuff right now.

On HBOMax: "Class Action Park", which will probably evoke literally painful memories for some folks here.  Action Park, up in Vernon, New Jersey from 1978 to 1997, was probably the most dangerous amusement park in the US.  It was a combination water and motor sports park, run by a guy whose whole MO was "there are no rules".  Patrons took whatever risks they wanted to on these crazily designed attractions, and the whole staff was poorly trained teenagers.  Oh, and the owner had fake liability insurance through his own shell company.  At least 5 people died during its run, and there were countless injuries every single day.

Not being into any type of thrill rides, I never went.  It was kind of far from where we lived--Great Adventure was much closer, so that's where my summer camp would run trips to.