What are you watching?

The Prom. This is a bad movie with a good cast. The songs are terrible. There are few surprises. And I still misted up multiple times because I am a big fat mush. The heroine has big eyes and looks like a young Drew Barrymore. James Cordon is not as offensive as you've heard. Tracy Ullman wears a tragic wig. It might be the Ryan Murphy-est thing I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of Ryan Murphy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

The Head on HBO Max. Murder on the Orient Express meets The Thing. Pretty scary! Very international! Makes me secure in my decision to not spend six months at an Antarctic research station. (Like anyone asked.)

• 2 weeks later...

"Minari" is a poignant film about a family of Koreans trying to realize the American dream by farming Korean vegetables in Arkansas.  In light of recent events this seems doubly real.  The film moves at a very slow pace (I'm reminded of Ozu and Bergman).  The acting and direction are as close to flawless as you can get.  Nominated for 6 Oscars.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10633456/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1  Recommended if you are not in a down mood.

FInished watching all 19 sound features directed by Yasujiro Ozu (as well as a few of his silent movies). All but one were on the Criterion Channel; I found The Munekata Sisters at Asian Movies Online.

It's like spending weeks in someone else's world. You slow yourself to his stately pace; you get accustomed to camera shots from the lowest angle imaginable; you come to expect the same actors and actresses to re-appear again and again; you relish the copious drinking, and come to understand how movies with serious intent can have fart jokes.

I also felt I learned a lot about 20th century Japanese culture, and about the clash of tradition and Americanization (and poverty) following the war.

Yeah, I did NOT see that coming. And I see pretty much everything coming*.  I feel like I need a Season 2 1/2.

*Don't go to an M. Night Shyamalan movie with me, because I will ruin it. Come to think of it, just don't go to an M. Night Shyamalan movie. They're bad.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:53 PM, small h said:

Gave Clarice a try, and...hard pass. The characters make no fucking sense, and even if you didn't know Silence of the Lambs super well (as I do), you would still think this was just a dumb-ass procedural. Kal Penn and Jayne Atkinson are wasted. I am angry. Anyway, the "real" Catherine Martin (Brooke Smith) is now on Big Sky, which I like a lot, so that's some solace.

I've been watching patiently.  It's good.  Too many shots of Clarice at the bottom of the well and of butterfies/moths streaming out of her mouth, but the narrative seems to be advancing nicely.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:39 PM, splinky said:

i started waffles and mochi. it's a surprisingly good show, even for adults and those puppets act up a storm

The boy was unimpressed. Now I need to watch it on my own.

12 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

The boy was unimpressed. Now I need to watch it on my own.

it may be more for the adults. i cried during the rice episode