What are you watching?

The Bureau (Sundance Channel).  Five seasons following members of the French undercover intelligence community.  One of the best shows I've seen in a long time.  Highly recommended.

Resident Alien (Syfy).  One season following an alien who came to destroy all human life on Earth but crash-landed and could not find him "bomb."  One of the worst shows I've seen.  Well, kind of.  It's well produced.  It's fun to watch.  It's just so poorly written, directed and acted that it's painful.  

For All Mankind (Apple +).  What if the Soviets got to the moon first? Interesting show.  Well done.  But stars Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman, who I find borderline unwatchable. 

Good Eats Reloaded.  Alton is back.  (This is actually Season 2, I think.)  Most of the things I loved about him 20 years ago I now find annoying.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

Fighting With My Family. Kind of like The Osmonds if they were in the wrestling business, instead of the music business. I miss G.L.O.W. (and I am shamefully watching Young Rock), so I enjoyed it. I would never watch actual wrestling, but apparently I will watch anything about wrestling.

Made for Love, with Christine Miloti (who I love in everything) as the unhappy wife of a megalomaniac tech mogul who inserts a microchip in her brain so he can keep tabs on her. Lots of good people in the cast, like Dan Bakkedahl, Noma Dumezweni and Ray Romano as Miloti's dad. It can't decide whether it wants to mostly scary or mostly funny, but it's diverting and the episodes are short.

2 hours ago, Stone said:

Good Eats Reloaded.  Alton is back.  (This is actually Season 2, I think.)  Most of the things I loved about him 20 years ago I now find annoying. 

Everything I found annoying about him 20 years ago (and it was EVERYTHING), I find...well, I've never seen the new one, so.

Going to start on the new Ken Burns series about Hemingway.  I still have the (autographed) companion volume to the Hemingway travelogue Michael Palin did in the late 1990s.

London calling?  The Nevers on hbo.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8697870/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1  We are in London in 1896.  Some women are afflicted with the maladie or rather gifts or powers that appear to threaten the populace.  Where we are going is not yet clear.  We have murders, sensationalistic press, decadent and corrupt aristocracy and police, steam punk inventions, opera, lots of Victorian costumes.  Juicy in its way.

Pretty much what I'm doing.  Good production values are diverting enough for awhile, especially if the acting isn't stilted (it isn't... well, not too much).  The plot(s) are all over the place, presumably to give them room to move in many directions as needed down the road.  Sort of like "Lost" or other fantasty soap operas.  "The Irregulars" (Netflix) is similar for me right now.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, StephanieL said:

Going to start on the new Ken Burns series about Hemingway.  I still have the (autographed) companion volume to the Hemingway travelogue Michael Palin did in the late 1990s.

Ok, I'm actually hoping Mongo will weigh in on this.  Getting a BA in English Lit back in the '70s did give me more of an appreciation of a # of American writers than my classes in High School had.  Hemingway was not one of them.  I just don't like his writing style and find him too obsessed with finding a perfect sentence and not enough with much else (well, except for himself).  And I've never been able to feel much due to his perfect sentences either.   At any rate, we watched the 1st episode with me hoping to find a reason to like him more.  Instead, I like him less.  Two hours of what I considered to be a rationalization of narcissism by Burns (even though he actually said that it wasn't narcissism), combined with what I now think was more of a "one trick pony" than I thought back when.  So far, a boring, self involved writer with a very exciting, self involved life.  On to Episode 2 (more yawn?).