What are you watching?

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

Sort of like "Lost" or other fantasty soap operas

Blasphemy. The first two seasons of Lost were some of my favorite television ever, and to call it a soap opera demeans it. Not that there's anything wrong with soap operas - I remain devoted to both Dynasty and Gossip Girl (probably because they're the same show).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

With respect and love, that’s ridiculous Sneak, not least because Hammett came after Hemingway, and I just can’t think of a major Hammett novel much as I like them.

Hemingway is not a likable man, but locate his prose style in a space opened by Ezra Pound, and to some extent by Gertrude Stein, and it’s revolutionary. Pound said poetry should be at least as good as prose: Hemingway took the approach that prose should be at least as good as the language people actually used.

Put him back in context. Sinclair Lewis had just won the Nobel Prize. Theodore Dreiser had been favorite. That was the context Hemingway was rebelling in, just as Pound was sucking himself out of Walter de la Mare and Bridges and Masefield. 

I attended a virtual lecture today about Lewis, given by a Minnesota historian. He said, rightly I’m sure, that Lewis’s millions of readers had no idea he was an awkward, ugly drunk, they just knew his novels. If today we knew nothing about Hemingway’s personality, just his novels and short stories, I think we’d have less problem acknowledging what an amazing writer he is.

5 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

With respect and love, that’s ridiculous Sneak, not least because Hammett came after Hemingway, and I just can’t think of a major Hammett novel much as I like them.

Well, Hammett is better than Jim Thompson.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:19 AM, hollywood said:

The Nevers on hbo.

Okay, I watched the first episode, and...

I sort of love it! It's a mess, but an engaging one.

The other night we watched "The Night of the Hunter."  Talk about a great movie; then when I started looking a bit more into stuff about the movie, it's on so many top top lists. I don't know shit about movies in the greater scheme of things, but I don't think it's a top 10 on my list. Did I mention I don't know shit about shit?  Robert Mitchum - wow.

In "Mank" Gary Oldman gives his usual terrific portrayal of a rather eccentric writer.  The screenplay by Jack Fincher covers a lot of amusing and informative ground in a relatively short time.

The Oscars. I don't care what anyone says, it's still entertaining. A Scandinavian guy got weepy. I don't know what else you people want,  drama-wise. Also, Nomadland won what it was supposed to win. So. That.

• Like 1

It was entertaining. The blackest Academy Awards ceremony ever, then Twitter lost its shit when Boseman didn't win best actor.

Sir Anthony Hopkins.

"Would you like some eggs, Sir Anthony?"

"What for?"

"To go with the ham. Or you could just continue snacking on the scenery."