What are you watching?

I'd actually seen some of the nominated movies this year: Soul, Trial of the Chicago Seven, Sound of Metal. The latter was good.

My wife and I switched off Ma Rainey's Black Bottom by unanimous vote halfway through. Not so much a movie as a camera pointed at a play, with acting suitable for a large theater.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

We did that with Judas and the Black Messiah, bailed about a half hour in. I didn't mind Ma Rainey - it certainly kept my attention. And I thought Hopkins deserved to win. The Father made me terrified to get dementia (previously, I was just anxious about it). I also watched Minari a few days ago, and it was...fine. It didn't live up to the hype, and was kind of like Fresh Off the Boat without the comedy and the hip hop.

I didn't like them shuffling around the order of the major awards.  You end with Best Picture, period.  And why not show clips from the nominated movies and the acting performances, when it's less likely than usual that people will have seen them?  I was also bummed that I'd missed the taped Best Song performances--I didn't know they'd been shuffled to the "pre-Oscars" show.  (I give 3 1/2 hours of my life to the main awards ceremony--I don't need to give them more time.)

• Like 1

I heard this morning they shuffled it to end with the Best Actor because they assumed that Chadwick Boseman would win and it would be nice way to do a tribute. Ooops!

17 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

I heard this morning they shuffled it to end with the Best Actor because they assumed that Chadwick Boseman would win and it would be nice way to do a tribute. Ooops!

They attempted to set that up by having Boseman's face be the last shown in the In Memoriam tribute.

It was an odd decision to allow more time for acceptance speeches but eliminate clips from the movies.

Also, have they considered having a host, someone funny like Kevin Hart? 

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Didn't it turn out this year that MORE people saw most of the nominated films?  That was true in @Wilfrid's case, at least.

Not me, because you need to subscribe to multiple services.  We already have Netflix and HBO Max--do I really need to sign on to Disney+ because I want to just watch Soul?  And it's a PITA to subscribe, watch the movie, and then unsubscribe.  

Can't wait to get back into an actual movie theater.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

And it's a PITA to subscribe, watch the movie, and then unsubscribe. 

It takes one trip to the website to subscribe, and another to unsubscribe, which is much less time than it takes to travel to and from a movie theater. We've done it once already (for The Mandalorian and Coco) and will soon do it again (for Soul and Wandavision). And a month of Disney Plus is $8, cheaper than a single movie ticket.

I understand if you just like sitting in the theater. But I don't, anymore, what with all the texting and chatter. Unless it's IMAX or 3D or both, I'll watch from my couch.

I'm 3 episodes into HBO's "Mare of Easttown" starring Kate Winslet as a troubled detective in a small Pennsylvania town.  Superficially, it's a police procedural, but it's also an examination of the emotional scars, dirty secrets, psychological traumas and conflicted motives of the town's largely Irish American denizens.  Guy Pearce is onboard as a randy but empathetic writer-professor.  Jean Smart is a busy body great grandmother.  John Douglas Thompson is one of the few people of color who is the police chief trying to keep the peace.  Eventually, Mare will apparently solve the disappearance of a five year old girl and the murder of a young unwed mother, but meanwhile as a divorced grandmother and former high school basketball star she has personal and professional problems aplenty.

When you don't want to think, seeing Mae West at her earliest, pre-code best in She Done Him Wrong helps.  And Cary Grant was so young!