What are you watching?

High on the Hog on Netflix is must see TV. Understanding where and how American food traditions came to be and appreciating the very high human price of American Culinary History is a powerful thing. One of the food guides tells Satterfield "...show me what you eat and I'll tell you where you are from" rings more true to me than the famous Brillat-Savarin quote because "where you are from" in African and African American culture means so much more than a physical location or who you are in this very moment in time. "Where you are from" in these cultures is comprised of your people, your history, your traditions, your place both physically and socially and your respect for all of that, because all those things make you who you are, wherever you may be in your life and in the world. In these cultures "where you are from" is what makes you able to survive wherever you are. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

We Are Lady Parts. It's much better than I had expected, and Bashir with the Good Beard is pretty catchy.  

I started watching Girls 5eva which is not as good as Lady Parts, but is entertaining enough.

So today being vaxxed and hungry, I ventured into LA.  First I went to Brooklyn Bagel Bakery and got some egg bagels and cream cheese.  Then I went to Hollywood which is even gritter and built up than I had remembered it.  I got to the new Amoeba Records at Hollywood and Argyle which is more compact but still bursting with records, CDs, posters, DVDs, books, tee-shirts, etc.  

Tonight I happened to watch Valley Girl.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086525/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Essentially it's Nicolas Cage in an early 80s teen movie and lots of folks you never heard of with a very representative 80s soundtrack (and appearances by the Plimsouls and Josie Cotton).

Ah life.

• Like 1

Valley Girl was much better than I expected it to be, and what a time capsule!  Would make a good double feature with Fast Times at Ridgemont High (which was Nicolas Cage's film debut).

I rewatched Fast Times recently (medium sized H had never seen it) and it holds up surprisingly well. The abortion scene got cut - not the plotline, just the scene - which both surprised me and didn’t. I remember reading it serialized in Rolling Stone (I think).

Hacks on HBO Max gets better and better (I almost finished it). A glowing New Yorker review suggests, fairly, that the early episodes appeal to a niche audience that cares about the nuts and bolts of committing comedy. Well. that's me. But it certainly gets beyond that.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, small h said:

I rewatched Fast Times recently (medium sized H had never seen it) and it holds up surprisingly well. The abortion scene got cut - not the plotline, just the scene - which both surprised me and didn’t. I remember reading it serialized in Rolling Stone (I think).

On what platform/medium were you watching it?  I'm hoping that streaming services aren't making edits like that.

14 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

On what platform/medium were you watching it?

Hulu. I have a pretty clear recollection of a scene in which Jennifer Jason Leigh was on the operating table, talking to the doctor. The scene ended with a shot of her POV, looking up into the overhead light. I can't say who made the edit - it might have been the production company at some point before Hulu even existed (a la Steven Spielberg swapping the guns for walkie-talkies in ET).

On 6/13/2021 at 7:52 AM, small h said:

In the Heights. It's no Hamilton, but it's diverting. Also long. And (mostly) predictable. The salon scene was the best part, according to me.

I plan to watch it, but also plan to watch it in at least two sittings.