What are you watching?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Friday Night Lights. I'm gonna start shilling like crazy for this show. When I first heard they were turning the movie into a TV show, I figured it would end every week with the team hitting the

oh, damn, i didn't know that. now i'm depressed--i really liked that show.

Here you go -   At the time I wrote that the show was being broadcast on WLIW. It appears to be out of the rotation right now but should be available on Netflix.

Posted Images

Younger. A co-worker said the main character reminded her of me because she looks younger than her age, and young people her trying to teach her young people things with varying success. After watching for a bit, I must object. I look far younger for my age than Sutton Foster does for the age she's trying to pass as. Also, Hilary Duff just isn't very good in anything. 

Much more successful is Rutherford Falls. Hopefully will be brought back for another season, as there are only 10 episodes. I was curious about how the show was able to handle culturally sensitive issues so well, and found that half the writing staff was indigenous. If only Kim's Convenience had gone that route.

If you've only watched the first few episodes of Younger, know that it gets better in the second season. It's not a great show, or anything, but it's not trash. And I was actually surprised that Hillary Duff wasn't worse.

4 hours ago, small h said:

If you've only watched the first few episodes of Younger, know that it gets better in the second season. It's not a great show, or anything, but it's not trash. And I was actually surprised that Hillary Duff wasn't worse.

I'm somewhere in season 3. Close to season 4, i think. It's entertaining enough, just not great, but I'll see it through. I do like Peter whatshisname (Mariska Hargitay's spouse) and I generally like Sutton Foster, just not really in this (I really do think she looks closer to 40 than even 30 much less the 26 she's supposed to be). After this I'll rewatch Schitts Creek and Rutherford Falls which will lift my spirits. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching Bo Burnham: Inside, now that all my friends have posted about it on Instagram. I thought it was consistently engaging, although the songs could be somewhat more varied in style, and it makes its point a few too many times (which, I guess, is part of its point). He's sort of like Tom Lehrer meets Fountains of Wayne, if you can wrap your head around that.

Summer of Soul. Very solid documentary, and I was shocked to discover that I know (or knew - he's dead) the guy who directed the filming of the festival, and in whose basement the footage sat for 50 years. Good job, Hal! RIP.

It was great!  I thought it was going to be just a straightforward concert film, and was very happy that it was so much more.  I especially liked the segment with two of the members of The Fifth Dimension watching their performance.

Nobody who has any interest in music (or history or justice for that matter) should even think of missing "Summer of Soul" (Hulu and theaters). 

In the same year as Woodstock, a series of concerts were held in Marcus Garvey Park, the cumulative attendance for which was on a similar scale as  Woodstock, and the performances if anything probably better. The whole thing was filmed, but never previously shown. This movie combines live footage with an extensive documentary examination of the historical context (it could have done more to answer questions about why none of the content surfaced for fifty years).

It's extraordinary. Everyone will have their own favorites, but I'd pick Mavis Staples, Sly Stone, and obviously Nina Simone.

• Like 2