Sign in to follow this  
Abbylovi

Meyer Lemons

WF has them so I bought a few. Should I use them as I would use a regular lemon? Other ideas?

I used them with great success in a lemon tart. I also like them in cocktails, occasionally.

chutney please

Am I incorrectly assuming that they meyer lemons have a more delicate taste? And if so, I would have thought that it would be wasted in a chutney.

RLB has a Shaker Lemon Pie for which she recommends Meyer lemons. I tried it with standard lemons and the pucker factor was just too high for me. I've really wanted to try it with Meyer lemons.

i have extensive experience with these, thanks to the tree in my backyard. meyers are lower in acid and higher in sugar than most normal lemons (ok, if you've got a tree-grown eureka or lisbon, they can be pretty good, too). they also have a very distinctive flavor, which can best be described as lemon with a dash of tangerine.

here's the best way to appreciate the flavor:

Meyer Lemon Granita

1 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest (about 5 lemons)

1 cup Meyer lemon juice

Heat the water and sugar just until clear, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon zest and remove from the heat. Let the syrup steep for at least 30 minutes.

Stir in the lemon juice and strain the mixture into a shallow metal dish, such as a cake pan. Freeze the mixture for an hour before stirring the mixture with a fork, breaking up any chunks of ice. Repeat 4 or 5 times over the next 2 to 3 hours. Each time, the ice will be a little less liquid and will stick together more. When it is firm enough to hold a shape, it is done.

Try not to let the ice freeze solid. If it does, chop it into small pieces in the pan and grind it in the food processor (the result will be lighter and fluffier and the flavor will not be as intense).

6 servings

to keep my publisher off my back for giving stuff away for free: this is a recipe from my upcoming "How to Pick a Peach" (to be published in may).

There's also a Meyer Lemon Cake from Chez Panisse, published in Chez Panisse Cooking. Although whenever I get my hands on Meyer lemons, I'm compelled to make marmalade. Which doesn't suck. Doesn't suck at all.

to keep my publisher off my back for giving stuff away for free: this is a recipe from my upcoming "How to Pick a Peach" (to be published in may).

Is there going to be a bean chapter, Russ????? Tell me there is!

I know that I've posted this before...slice them[skin and all]very thinly,and layer the rounds sprinkled with sugar and a little salt in the fridge for a few days,covered with plastic wrap.The rinds will soften,and the lemon slices should be suspended in a sweet syrup at this point.Delicious with fish,or the custard of your choice,and keeps well.The zest of meyers make a delicious infused custard-pannacotta,gelato,etc.

I've made preserved lemons with them, using a mix of salt and sugar. Gentler than regular lemons, especially good in chicken dishes and salad dressings.

If you only use the juice, grate the zest, wrap it really well, and keep it in the freezer. Then you can break off little chunks when you want to add some zip to just about anything. Yum!