• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sort of shocked, but the townie supermarket* had meyer lemons. So I bought some, my first! What can I make that does not require good kitchen equipment? Also, they are not organic so something that doesn't require using a huge amount of the peel maybe. I was thinking lemon curd would be really nice, but I suppose I would need a lot less sugar. If someone has a good recipe I would be very grateful.

*They were playing The Scorpions' "winds of change" on the sound system. I haven't heard that one in public since leaving the Middle East. :)

eta: Martha has one.

Epicurious also. Slightly healthier version maybe?

I'm flipping through a new cookbook, The Sweet Life, Desserts from Chanterelle, and the very first recipe is a Meyer Lemon Curd Tart with a glorious, mouthwatering photo. Also, another recipe for individual Meyer Lemon Souffles. Haven't tried either yet -- no lemons on hand. :) No special equipment required except an 8-in tart pan for the former recipe and a hand mixer, candy therm, plus 4- or 5-ounce ramekins for the latter. Let me know if you want either.

No special equipment required except an 8-in tart pan for the former recipe and a hand mixer, candy therm, plus 4- or 5-ounce ramekins for the latter. Let me know if you want either.

I love that on Mouthfuls this counts as basic equipment. :) I have all that stuff in Germany but here I'm limited to a hand mixer, a few pots and pans and some cake tins. Oh wait, I think my roommate has a souffle thing lying around somewhere. Maybe I can adjust the souffle recipe to make one big one. Thanks!

I would definitely put up some preserved lemons. I have made these for several years and they are a snap to make, wonderful to use and make super and unusual presents when you package them in a pretty jar and include a tagine recipe.

Save some (the recipe calls for 6) for marmalade, again, not hard to make via this recipe, and to-die-for on English muffins.

Here's Suzanne Goin's Meyer Lemon and Chocolate Tart, which only uses juice.

The Chanterelle souffle recipe requires 2 tsp of zest. Still want it?

I'll have to buy another tart ring but it may be worth it, looking at the picture. It's the sort of thing I can find takers for so I don't have to eat it all myself. I don't mind using a little zest. Let me check if my local library has the Chanterelle book, then I can just photocopy it instead of having you type it all out and stuff.

Meyer lemon simple syrup for lemonade and cocktails could also be a nice option...

Almost forgot to mention this recipe for Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake. I made this recently with regular lemons (no Meyers on hand -- :) ) and I was struck at how incredibly simple it was to make. Not a lot of dishes, no special equipment, just a few minutes to whip up and stick in oven. My results were tarter than the recipe, but really delicious with an excellent texture -- gooey at bottom and cake-like on top.

I made an accompanying sauce from Trader Joe frozen raspberries :o . The bright yellow and bright reddish colors were a cheerful visual for a dreary winter evening. Top with liquered up whipped cream.

Oh, that sounds perfect. Actually, you are kind of a mind reader -- I was thinking of adjusting my very favorite childhood dessert -- lemon custard cups out of Joy. (This looks very similar, and the buttermilk makes a lot of sense with the sweeter lemons.) Mmm, might need to make another trip to townie-mart.

here's mine, adapted from Richard Sax.

LEMON SPONGE PUDDING

No matter how tempted you might be, don't try this without the water bath. The direct heat will scramble the eggs.

3 tablespoons flour

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

3 egg yolks

6 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons grated lemon zest

1 tablespoon melted butter

2 egg whites

Stir together flour, sugar and salt in small bowl.

Stir to blend milk, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest in large bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir together to form smooth, liquid batter. Stir in melted butter.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add egg whites to batter and gently but thoroughly fold together.

Pour batter into buttered 2-cup mold. Place large baking dish in 350-degree oven and place filled mold in dish. Add hot water to 1 inch up side of baking dish. Bake until top is set and well-browned, about 40 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.