Thanks, Russ. Maybe you can answer a question I've had for a long time. I know you can make those things so that they can be unmolded from a ramekin and stay put nicely, but I haven't figured out what in the recipe makes the pudding part more/less liquid. I love the homely version served out of the pan, but for some dinner parties it would be cool to have a reliable dressy-looking puck-shaped version.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably if you paint it on with a brush. Egg whites and avocado for facial masque. Oh, and I should've made it clear that the gelatin will work if the ultimate product will be served cold. If it has warm, obviously, no duh. :)

Thanks, Russ. Maybe you can answer a question I've had for a long time. I know you can make those things so that they can be unmolded from a ramekin and stay put nicely, but I haven't figured out what in the recipe makes the pudding part more/less liquid. I love the homely version served out of the pan, but for some dinner parties it would be cool to have a reliable dressy-looking puck-shaped version.

The recipe for this that I gave earlier in this thread, post #17, unmolds beautifully. However, as you can see in the photo, the individual servings are quite stylish before being unmolded.

The recipe for this that I gave earlier in this thread, post #17, unmolds beautifully. However, as you can see in the photo, the individual servings are quite stylish before being unmolded.

Opps, there isn't a photo. Okay, the lighter-than-air cake part rises above the top of your individual ramekin, and provides a top-hat effect. Dust with powdered sugar or not. These little desserts are truly moonlight in you mouth. (One male guest literally inhaled his, turned to me and said, "I haven't a clue what i just ate, but it was the lightest thing I have ever eaten. It was truly amazing!"

Hey, voyager -- I tried the recipe out. It came out too liquid, but given my limited equipment I may have made one too many compromises. But it tasted good... Anyway, I'll try it again when I have all my regular equipment. By the way, my roommate has a copy of Joy so I looked it up: their recipe calls for a little more lemon juice and sugar, and an extra egg white.

As for the Meyer lemons, slightly mellower than regular lemons but once cooked they kind of lose their orange-y background. Or is it just me?

As for the Meyer lemons, slightly mellower than regular lemons but once cooked they kind of lose their orange-y background. Or is it just me?
I think of them as being "rounder" in taste, not so tart, a little fuller.

re the custard-cakes, I don't know the answer. Each time I have used this recipe, I have finished with thick custard on the bottom and a, say, 3/4" thick cloud-like cake on top. I do use jumbo eggs, FWIW. As you say, it does taste good, though. :)

As an aside, we live in the middle of a city. Regardless of your fastidiousness, rats also live in the middle of cities. We have noticed a crack in the wall between our property and our neighbor's. We have noticed a Meyer lemon astride this crack. Several times. It's there, then it's gone. Then another is in its place. Then that one is gone.

My husband was putting out the recycle this afternoon and reported seeing 'something' scurrying along the back wall, maybe a cat, maybe a rat. I told him that cats bound and leap among the vegetation, and that rats run. "It was a rat, then", he says.

Right. Picking MY Meyers!

the first year I had a Meyer in a pot, I had two fruits ripening, and then ready to pick them, I went outside to find them gone....spied the next day out in the yard in two separate spots with a bite out of each. I'm thinking squirrels, but who knows....