re the custard-cakes, I don't know the answer. Each time I have used this recipe, I have finished with thick custard on the bottom and a, say, 3/4" thick cloud-like cake on top. I do use jumbo eggs, FWIW. As you say, it does taste good, though. :)

I had to use an oval baking dish, there are no whisks in the house, and probably an extra egg would have helped. I'm basicallly camping here.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm never seen a meyer lemon before, but I'm thinking of ordering a box of 50 (New Zealand grown).

Is the average meyer lemon about the same size as an average lemon? I'm just wondering how much juice I can expect to get out of one lemon. If I were to make Pierre Herme's lemon cream with meyer lemons, would it still be about 4-5 lemons for 3/4 cup of juice? If so, 50 lemons would give me a lot of tarts! Perhaps too many. . .

I'm never seen a meyer lemon before, but I'm thinking of ordering a box of 50 (New Zealand grown).

Is the average meyer lemon about the same size as an average lemon? I'm just wondering how much juice I can expect to get out of one lemon. If I were to make Pierre Herme's lemon cream with meyer lemons, would it still be about 4-5 lemons for 3/4 cup of juice? If so, 50 lemons would give me a lot of tarts! Perhaps too many. . .

Meyers a slightly smaller than regular lemons. But, they're fairly juicy. With 50 lemons, in addition to tarts, you can make meyer lemon sorbet, preserved meyer lemons, etc.

Here's an article than ran in the LA Times some years ago: 100 things to do with Meyer lemons

Great! I think I can use up all 50--that LATimes article was full of great ideas.

Lemon souffles? I'm there! I love that the recipe is perfect for two (and I loved the story, too!).

So far on my list: GG's souffles, pound cake, souffle cheesecake, lemon cream, a small batch of marmalade, maybe candied peel, shortbread cookies, lots of meyer lemonade, and lemon butter caper sauce. That should take care of about one-third of them.

Some will get juiced and frozen (or just frozen if I'm too lazy to juice them first). And then maybe I'll give some away. I hope the ones I get will be juicy. One never knows what happens with mail order!

Any way that Suzanne Goin suggests for using a meyer lemon is a good way (I've made her salsa recipe from the LA Times article, except I used lemon thyme instead of savory). Good.

This recipe of hers is very good, too. Don't believe it when it says to roll the pastry to 1" thick - it has to be a typo.

http://leitesculinaria.com/332/recipes-mey...-chocolate.html

Any way that Suzanne Goin suggests for using a meyer lemon is a good way (I've made her salsa recipe from the LA Times article, except I used lemon thyme instead of savory). Good.

This recipe of hers is very good, too. Don't believe it when it says to roll the pastry to 1" thick - it has to be a typo.

Good catch. The original recipe in the book says 1/4-inch thick.

Good catch. The original recipe in the book says 1/4-inch thick.

You should have seen the look on my face when I rolled it out 1" thick as directed. It so wasn't right. Luckily, Jacques Pepin saved the day (he always does).

Love your wedding story GG, it seems very you.

I recently suggested a non-traditional wedding to a friend and the reaction was as if I proposed shooting her firstborn child.

GG's is one the the very few weddings I know of that was lower key than mine... I have no idea how it got to be the standard to have the big white wedding (but DeBeers can certainly be blamed for the engagement ring myth).

I see things called Meyer lemons here in the stores but they look strangely different than ones I've seen pictured on the Internet...