macrosan

Ali's Kabab Cafe

we "almost" dropped in on tuesday -- we lunched there on sunday and he let us know, but i forgot..

sunday's meal was remarkable. the duck meatballs with sauce (it tasted like a red colorado mole sauce) were great, as was the mackerel.

i'd reiterate that imho sunday or saturday for late lunch is the time to go -- if he is open that day. much more laid back scene, fewer pair-to-pair daters, etc. ali had a great time playing with one group's kids....

Want to thank my homies for feteing me so warmly, a very special meal. And big thanks to Omni who got me more fish dishes than I knew swam in the sea!!!! In fact, we didn't see a meat dish until the very end. And that was great because I got to try the baba ganoush which was one of the best ever.

The squid, clams, scallops and whiting were my favorites and they were very special indeed. Ali greeted me warmly like he knew me, but just hadn't shown up yet : :lol:

So many of the stories are of meat-fests that I was surprised to see a big sign "Vegetarian" outside, and in fact, a cheerful woman at the next table (expecting a baby in 72 hours) was enjoying a vegetarian meal. Nine vegetarian items on the menu!!

The decor is charming and one could easily spend a meal just gazing at the curios and mementos. Ali, the food, the decor and the company, what a delightful evening!

PS Two wines were 2001 Pegau Reserve Chateauneuf du Pape and 2000 Bachelet Gevery Chambertin Vielle Vignes.

THANKS EVERYONE AND THANK YOU ALI!

Inspired by Thunk's wonderful dinner earlier this week, 3 of us (who already had plans to go) arranged with Ali in advance to have an all-fish meal. And what a feast it was! We had pan-fried smelt (eaten whole, with harissa dipping sauce), pan-fried whiting (perfectly flaky), brook trout sauteed with butter, mushrooms, and onions, whole tilapia cooked with potatoes, onions, and lots of olive oil, steamed blue crab, little squid, scallops sauteed with wine and mushrooms, and mackerel steamed with tomatoes and onions. That was pretty much it--no dips, no bread except for some pita, and no veggies except with what was cooked with the fish. Dessert was caramelized lemons and oranges that oozed citrus juices and honey, some yogurt, and small pieces of baklava, bird's nest pastry, and semolina cake.

Ali was really on tonight. I love fish cooked simply, even if by the end I got that woozy feeling you get when you've eaten a little too much oil. By the time we left, the restaurant was full, and all the other tables were pretty much eating only fish too.

Weren't there some sardines, too? My only disappointment was that there were no razor clams. :lol: Other than that, it may have been the best meal I've ever had at Ali's and that is saying something. Only the crab dish did not reach the highest level of fish cookery, being a little overdone.

Sorry, but what time should a party of four arrive at Ali's in time for the restaurant's opening on a Saturday night, in order to be sure to get a table? :lol:

If only one person out of that party has to stand in line, where can the other three grab a drink or coffee close by?

It *should* be alright, but I'd get there at 6 on a Saturday, to be safe.

There are lots of coffee places on the block, but nowhere to get a drink.

Just saw this on Chowhound. Is it true?

I had dinner at Kebab Cafe last night (delicious short ribs!) and Chef/Owner Ali asked me to pass on the word that tonight (Wednesday) will be his last night for a while.

He will be closed for one month. Maybe more.

Ali is going to Egypt for a few weeks. When he returns in mid-May he will make some changes. Renovations, a new menu, perhaps a very different concept. Among other things, I think he is trying to figure out a system that does not involve him working 70 hours a week, every week.

In the meantime, Ali urges everybody to go to his brother's place, Mombar, just down the street. Mustafa, Ali's brother, will be featuring some of Kebab Cafe's menu while Ali is gone.

Still "closed for renovations". Shame, we'd liked to have experienced this place :D

Anny, I don't know if you have time left - but Ali's brother Mustafa owns a restaurant called Mombar just down the street from Kabab Cafe, and it's a lovely place and the food is good. And the big man himself may be hanging out there...

Anny, I don't know if you have time left - but Ali's brother Mustafa owns a restaurant called Mombar just down the street from Kabab Cafe, and it's a lovely place and the food is good. And the big man himself may be hanging out there...

Omni

Unfortunately less than a day left. Packing done, lunch uptown and then back to London.

Next time, I promise. Thanks for all your help.

Anny