I had a most delcious cake when I was in Australia, and I'd like to recreate it.

This is all I remember of the recipe:

Simmer a whole orange (preferably a bitter or seville type orange) until it is soft and mushy.

Grind it in a food processor and add ground almonds, eggs, honey...

I'm not sure about the method beyond this.

I just remember it was soft and delcious and flourless.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a most delcious cake when I was in Australia, and I'd like to recreate it. This is all I remember of the recipe: Simmer a whole orange (preferably a bitter or seville type orange) until it is

Hmmmm.

Rose got it with the marzipan like texture.   For those that found the orange too bitter, cooking it longer helps. Also, you can zest it, cut in half and juice it. Discard the pith and all that.

I had a most delcious cake when I was in Australia, and I'd like to recreate it.

This is all I remember of the recipe:

Simmer a whole orange (preferably a bitter or seville type orange) until it is soft and mushy.

Grind it in a food processor and add ground almonds, eggs, honey...

I'm not sure about the method beyond this.

I just remember it was soft and delcious and flourless.

Any thoughts?

There is a recipe for this cake in "The New James Beard", which came out in the early 80's. I remember there was no flour, the ground almonds provided the base, much like a flourless chocolate cake made with almond meal. I have a copy of the book somewhere, give me some time I'll try to find the exact recipe.

Here ya go...

Orange Almond cake (courtesy of James Beard)

2 large oranges (preferebly naval seedless)

6 eggs

1 1/2 c. ground almonds

pinch salt

1 c sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

Wash oranges and boil them in water to cover, wthout peeling, until soft about 30 min.

Drain, cool, cut into quarters.

Process oranges into a moderately fine puree in a blender or food processor.

Beat the eggs in a bowl till thick, then add ground almonds, salt, sugar, baking powder and orange puree and mix well.

Pour into a buttered and floured deep 9" cake pan at 400 degrrees for 1 hour or longer, until firm to the touch.

Garnish with orange slices dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar, berries or whipped cream.

Enjoy!

Here ya go...

Orange Almond cake (courtesy of James Beard)

2 large oranges (preferebly naval seedless)

6 eggs

1 1/2 c. ground almonds

pinch salt

1 c sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

Wash oranges and boil them in water to cover, wthout peeling, until soft about 30 min.

Drain, cool, cut into quarters.

Process oranges into a moderately fine puree in a blender or food processor.

Beat the eggs in a bowl till thick, then add ground almonds, salt, sugar, baking powder and orange puree and mix well.

Pour into a buttered and floured deep 9" cake pan at 400 degrrees for 1 hour or longer, until firm to the touch.

Garnish with orange slices dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar, berries or whipped cream.

Enjoy!

Thats the recipie i use, got it off an Aussie Chef.We finish ours with ganache.

post-77-1084227866.jpg

That looks fabulous. Are you using bittersweet or something darker, like 72%? The darker the chocolate, the better I would think, but that's just my tatse. I usually finish mine off with a stencil pattern of powdered sugar and cinnamon. Sometimes I sprinkle a little orange blossom water on as well. It's a great cake.

That looks fabulous. Are you using bittersweet or something darker, like 72%? The darker the chocolate, the better I would think, but that's just my tatse. I usually finish mine off with a stencil pattern of powdered sugar and cinnamon. Sometimes I sprinkle a little orange blossom water on as well. It's a great cake.

How would you describe the level of moistness? I imagine having all that orange puree would make it moist but I'm just curious how you would describe it. Do the almonds leave any residual grit in the texture?

How would you describe the level of moistness? I imagine having all that orange puree would make it moist but I'm just curious how you would describe it. Do the almonds leave any residual grit in the texture?

Super moist -it's a cake that holds up well. One of the concerns while baking is that it will never set because the batter looks so wet, but it comes together nicely after about an hour. As for the almonds, if you use blanched ones, you don't get the mealy texture of the skin. I suppose you could use almond meal, but I never have for this recipe. (Frangipane and flourless chocolate cake is mostly when I use it). I actually throw the almonds and oranges in the processor at the same time and grind them together. It's pretty simple and forgiving so I think you can approach it a couple of ways to find your preference. To me that's the fun of making things over and over - I am a constant tweaker. :angry:

Thanks MM. I also tweak old standbys, it's fun. Sometimes I tweak them in the wrong direction, if you know what I mean. I'm intrigued by this recipe and may make it for X-mas day but I think I'll take all my direction from you without any personal tweaking. :angry: