Guest 24k

The Bond Films

Guest 24k

I'd like to hear a few more comments from others on Licence to Kill. Is it worth it for someone who thought the other Bonds were unworthy (except the latest)?

I know you wanted to hear from others, but take a chance and rent it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Guest 24k

1997 - Tomorrow Never Dies

The second of Pierce Brosnan's efforts and this one not quite as satisfying as his first. For starters, we are back to a megolomaniac trying to rule the world which has never been quite as satisfying a premise. Although I have always liked Jonathan Pryce and he made a relatively good villain, but who in their right mind would send their WIFE to Bond and not think she is going to get bonked? Puleeeeze. I enjoyed seeing Vincent Schiavelli as a marksman despite his lame Germanic accent and short screen time.

Also very enjoyable was the appearance of Dame Judi alongside her As Time Goes By co-star, Geoffrey Palmer. The incorporation of Michelle Yeoh to add a handful of Martial Arts scenes seemed to be pandering more to the popularity of the genre-of-the-day. I fell asleep during the last 10 or 15 minutes and waking up this morning, don't really care to see the ending.

Guest 24k

1999 - The World Is Not Enough

I really liked the opening of this -- Brosnan seems to have no problems at the fast action sequence gun shoot-outs which seem to become his (90s?) trademark. And the whole boat chase sequence was just plain cool.

The introduction of John Cleese as Q's ultimate replacement (and Q's final scenes) were handled with levity and taste. Denise Richards seemed an unlikely Bond girl -- no, I should say she seemed an unlikely scientist but an okay Bond girl. Sophie Marceau was much more believable, I think, except the whole premise of the Stockholm Syndrome on her was a tad annoying. Maybe it was just hard for me to see Robert Carlyle as a villain. He just seems a bit too slight; I like my villains to be on the meaty OR brainy side. Carlyle couldn't pull off either.

Guest 24k

2002 - Die Another Day

Here we have a very, very interesting beginning. A Bond who has obviously been held in captivity and tortured at some length (noted by hair growth and a beard). But in boundless energy, he is able to recuperate and get back in the saddle almost immediately - even though M complains to Bond that he could have and should have taken his cyanide tablet. "I threw it away years ago," he responds.

From that we have a tan and fit (???) Bond dashing off to Cuba to wine and dine the Ursala Andress-like Halle Berry and going off on a very confusing adventure where some crazy North Koreans can change their face with bizarre plastic surgery. I'll give credit to the ice house and all its fixtures. There is just so much going on that is laughable; the hovercraft chase sequence, the surfboard sequence; Madonna, and a frigg'n invisible car???

Ugh.

It has become almost impossible to enjoyably watch Goldfinger with all its casual misogyny.  I wonder if this series can continue while remaining true to itself.