Kitchen Letters

Annoying or no, I think Bayless is a great place to start. I picked up One Plate at a Time when I decided it was time to learn a little about Mexican cooking. My first dinner from the book – for 10 – included handmade tamales, which turned out very well. Very well, indeed. (Okay, so maybe it wasn't the tamales that so impressed my now husband, but something got his attention).

Anything I've made from the book has been excellent. Don't know about authentic, though, since I've never been to Mexico.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among the notable:   Asian Sauces and Marinades - nice book with a quite a few of interesting ideas.   Asian Cook by Terry Tan - his Shiok! on Singaporean food is pretty good, but this one is mus

I decided my cocktail library needed some growth. Cocktail Codex and Dale DeGroff's New Craft of the Cocktail arrived yesterday.

The restraint of the last month is broken with a shopping spree:

beefing up my mexican collection:

Savoring Mexico and Cocina de La Familia, both by Tausend;

Food from My Heart by Zarela Martinez (if only for her carnitas recipe);

My Vue : Modern French Cookery by Bennett - of course i don't need yet another french cookbook but has a breathtaking photography and lovely recipes.

Lobster & Chips by Hilferty - potato and fish, of course i need this one. I have a similar british book on Sausage and Mash which is lovely.

Bones : Recipes, History, and Lore by McLagan - everything about cooking meat on the bone.

On my list to buy:

Bayless - Mexican Kitchen

Silver Spoon

Sunday Suppers at Lucques

Anya von Bremzen's The New Spanish Table

MF costs me money!  :rolleyes:

New Spanish Table is fast becoming a favorite. I've cooked many things from it, all winners.

Take another good, long look at Silver Spoon. I hadn't looked at once after I received it and looked again just yesterday and I really think it's a piece of merde.

On my list to buy:

Bayless - Mexican Kitchen

Silver Spoon

Sunday Suppers at Lucques

Anya von Bremzen's The New Spanish Table

MF costs me money!  :rolleyes:

New Spanish Table is fast becoming a favorite. I've cooked many things from it, all winners.

Take another good, long look at Silver Spoon. I hadn't looked at once after I received it and looked again just yesterday and I really think it's a piece of merde.

I'll take it off your hands. :blush:

I like it, but I have sort of a different take on cookbooks than most people. I rarely, if ever, follow a recipe from one of them.

For me, the interest in Silver Spoon is in what it has meant to Italian homecooks, not so much because I am blown away by the recipes . . .

I also own and enjoy a Joy of Cooking, but the only recipe from it I have ever used is for pancakes.

Details, please? All I've done so far is read it and drool.

I dont' have it in from of me but the saffron-honey-lemon chicken was memorable. I made one of the soups but I feel so stupid- I'm blanking out on it.

Silver Spoon off the list.  Thanks RG.

Well, do take a look again. It may be right for you (though I doubt it). I hate when people speak in absolutes and I've done just that. I think it is the product of a very successful PR campaign and right out the gate, one wants to like it, but it really isn't very useful if you cook Italian and I can see it being very confusing as an introduction.

Details, please? All I've done so far is read it and drool.

I dont' have it in from of me but the saffron-honey-lemon chicken was memorable. I made one of the soups but I feel so stupid- I'm blanking out on it.

That chicken looks fabulous.

That chicken looks fabulous.

It's funny, on eG there's a thread on whether saffron really is all the great or not. (it's this kind of discussion that drives me f*cking nuts!) but I think this is one of the most wonderful ways to experience saffron. The honey and lemon are pronounced but the saffron is the star. Plus the onions are just drenched in the sauce plus all the chicken love. This is the dish that sent me to the Spanish Table store in Berkeley to buy a proper Spanish cazuela to make the dish again. And again.

This woman is an excellent recipe writer. Simple, clear and inspirational.