Thai recommendations in Los Angeles

Yes, the service is intermittent and the prices are higher at Jitlada. Meanwhile, there are persistent hopes/rumors of the partial re-opening of the Wat Thai Temple food stalls in NoHo. Elsewhere in and around NoHo's Thai Town are found Krua Thai (good noodles) and Sri Siam. But the new kid on the block is WeHo's Night + Market which is also spicy and pig part-centric per reports I've read.

• Like 3
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm especially hoping Pim responds.   I'd rather not drive to the SFG. I prefer Pasadena to the West Side and in between.

Yes, the service is intermittent and the prices are higher at Jitlada. Meanwhile, there are persistent hopes/rumors of the partial re-opening of the Wat Thai Temple food stalls in NoHo. Elsewhere in

a write-up of three recent thai meals in l.a: at pailin thai, sapp coffee shop and pa ord 3.

• 1 month later...

based on our meal there today, i would recommend pailin thai in hollywood very, very strongly. they have a small section of northern thai dishes we ordered from and almost everything was excellent. full blog report with pictures coming tomorrow (plus some notes on red corner asia too).

based on our meal there today, i would recommend pailin thai in hollywood very, very strongly. they have a small section of northern thai dishes we ordered from and almost everything was excellent. full blog report with pictures coming tomorrow (plus some notes on red corner asia too).

and so.

I'm very interested to hear about the Jonathan Gold crit. Being a NYer I don't read him enough to have an opinion other than enjoying what he writes.

Gold is an interesting fellow who has made a name for himself. In so doing he has gotten a Pulitzer (while at the Weekly) and has lost his anonymity. He started as I recall at the LA Times, wrote a book about generally ethnic spots and diners, Counter Intelligence, which was well received particularly by the Chowhound set. Indeed, someone on CH did an index for the book as it lacked a proper one. He used to post under his own name in CH's early years. After a stay at the Times, he moved to the Weekly where his wife, Laurie Ochoa, was editor. A few years ago she was canned in some sort of coup and now he is back at the Times. He also appears regularly on Evan Kleiman's radio show on KCRW, mostly rehashing his Times pieces. He also managed to write some pieces for Gourmet, perhaps when Reichl formerly of the LA Times was there.

While at the Weekly, he would compile a yearly list of 99 Essential Restaurants which is instructive in showing his biases. Now that he is back with the Times, he has launched a list of 101 Best Restaurants. http://ballots.latimes.com/lists/101-best-restaurants-jonathan-gold-2013/

When you listen to Gold on the radio, you get the impression he has eaten in every far off corner of India, China, Japan, Senegal, Tibet, Afghanistan, you name it. Although he may be well traveled, I suspect he has a sizable library of reference works that he consults before expounding on esoteric fine points of cuisine. Sometimes though he may simply be bluffing.

• 3 weeks later...

and so.

Thanks for the tip. Have you tried Pa Ord on Sunset? 5301, to be exact. I'm not sure you can get better Thai noodles, especially noodle soups, in L.A. Not upscale -- quite cheap, in fact.

and so.

A good kao soi is a thing of beauty.

Review forthcoming, but in Chiang Mai, the Khao Soi at Duan Fah Ham was so good that after we did pork:

9666937740_b878686fc8.jpg

We decided the only appropriate thing to do was order a second bowl of chicken:

9663729051_9b43320a05.jpg

But that's for another thread.