Good selection on the wine/liqouor side. Some good knowledge, but a more industrial feel than Wiggy's which is my favorite.

Food side, good selelction but almost zero service. A poor showing in comparison to the alcohol side.

Great selection of specialty chocolates, and some yummy looking coffees.

--LHG

I'm glad you brought this up. Someone in eG raved about the Austin Spec's to the point where I suspect she owns stock in the company. And it was the FOOD she was raving about . Everything she mentioned is done at CM and WF on a bigger, better and fresher scale. So I was puzzled. Maybe she doesn't get out much.

I'm glad you brought this up. Someone in eG raved about the Austin Spec's to the point where I suspect she owns stock in the company. And it was the FOOD she was raving about . Everything she mentioned is done at CM and WF on a bigger, better and fresher scale. So I was puzzled. Maybe she doesn't get out much.

Foodie,

What they had looked really nice. The presentation is good - all low-profile shelving. And they have a great high-end selection. But honestly, I didn't see much of anything there that you can't find at WF or CM. And I doubt their prices are cheaper, even with the 5% off for paying in cash or debit or check.

The cheese island was nice, but not a lot of product. They had 2 slicers for the deli, which was mainly proscutto and appy-type meats as opposed to lunch meat.

The only thing I did a direct comparison on was the frozen AMy's organics. The veggie lasagna was $1.50 more than at HEB. ouch!

...wow, just went and read the eG thread. What happened to her at CM? Did her best friend die in the store or something? bitter! So sad at this joyful time of year.

I was underwhelmed on my first visit last week. My expectations were probably to high based on my friends in Houston gushing about Specs.

Nice selection of liquors

Spotting wine selection but good prices. Not great prices, but good. The staff in that department were very helpful and knew their stuff. They only had 2 labels from Washington State....what's up with that???

Wide selection of gourmet packaged goods, but almost all the cheeses and such were pre-packaged. They have a small deli counter but no one was there. The only folks milling about were giving away samples and not very knowledgeable. Nice people, but limited product knowledge.

Competition is good so I am glad they entered the Austin market, but do not see myself rushing back.