Sign in to follow this  
SamanthaF

Last Tango in Paris

LTIP was on the BBC last night. Never seen it before, but having done a big study on censorship at Uni, I knew it was, er, "famous".

Gave it a whirl last night, and just couldn't get my head round it.

"Butter" scene was awfully bad acting, as was the scene just after he made her cut her nails. :ph43r:

What was I supposed to "get" from this film?

brought back memories to me of when i got taken to see this as a first date. just a touch on the inappropriate side, i thought.

he didn't last...

brought back memories to me of when i got taken to see this as a first date. just a touch on the inappropriate side, i thought.

he didn't last...

:o

The movie was accomplanied by a media buzz far in excess of Mel Gibson's recent movie, or Janet Jackson's body part. I recall the movie fueled a debate about whether Marlon Brando had lost the ability to act. In the 1950s there was no question he was a fine actor, that conclusion may have ben unsupportable in the early 1970s.

Great soundtrack--Gato Barbieri

Lat Tango was part of my "formative" years. Can't judge it except to say I saw it and liked it. It was long ago.

In its day it was an envelope pusher. I recall a naive young lady asking after first seeing the film, "Why was he sticking that cheese up her butt?"

In its day it was an envelope pusher. I recall a naive young lady asking after first seeing the film, "Why was he sticking that cheese up her butt?"

Wasn't there a thread a few months back about the best ways to store cheese? :blink:

In its day it was an envelope pusher.  I recall a naive young lady asking after first seeing the film, "Why was he sticking that cheese up her butt?"

Wasn't there a thread a few months back about the best ways to store cheese? :blink:

Perhaps this is "best" only for stinky cheeses.

brought back memories to me of when i got taken to see this as a first date.

I did take someone I didn't know to see peeping tom. That's a poor date movie.

I would have thought last tango would be interesting to see with a stranger, since it describes precisely the issues en jeu.

Of course Brando gambles and loses, and finds a new orifice to speak from in consequence. I have never unequivocally admired a Bertolucci film..