Presenteeism

Another point: the honest, reliable, work-ethically loyal people are sometimes taken for granted as always being honest, reliable, and always there at work, so therefore get walked ALL OVER by the ethically-challenged. I once had a boss who gave the most work to the over-worked and said, "I can count on them to get it done."

I was pretty much obliged to work through a horrific chest infection once, including international travel. Result: ill for three months. Still, look on the bright side, I lost a load of weight.

Sheesh, just occurs to me that I am currently celebrating tenth anniversary of that miserable experience.

I recently worked through a major cold that got so bad, during a surgical training session I was coordinating, I went to the bathroom and collapsed in a fever induced haze. Turns out I had a raging strep infection with extremely high levels of the infection detectable in my blood. Ooops. I still worked that entire day because there was no one else to help out. That was at the end of October. I'm still sick and can't take any time off because I'm over-worked as it is.

You are all crazy people. Oops. Sorry. Not supposed to trash fellow MFers. But, hey, strep and bronchial infections kill people. Maybe not YOU but maybe someone near by who catches it. Sometimes they lose whole nurseries of babies. Going to work three days after giving birth? No wonder you wear size zero. You have holes in your head. Like I am one to talk. Was not going to come to work today because I broke a toe. Nobody to cover for me. Am at work. Why do we think we are indispensable?

Another point: the honest, reliable, work-ethically loyal people are sometimes taken for granted as always being honest, reliable, and always there at work, so therefore get walked ALL OVER by the ethically-challenged. I once had a boss who gave the most work to the over-worked and said, "I can count on them to get it done."

Just as my favorite boss used to say, "If you want something done, give it to a busy person."

I have one teenaged son who does chores without complaint, doesn't procrastinate, and generally doesn't give attitude. My other teenaged son treats each request to take out the garbage like I asked for the donation of a major body organ. I realized, thankfully relatively quickly, that I was requesting more of the cooperative kid simply because it was easier on ME...but in the long run, I didn't help anyone out...the spoiled one, the worker, or the men they will someday become.

An employer, however, sees the worker bee as profit, not a child to help grow towards successfu adulthood. If a devoted mother falls prey to favortism( or actually anti-favortism?) then a "for profit" supevisor will certainly take advantage of a devoted, go to work sick employee.

Just my two cents.

You are all crazy people. Oops. Sorry. Not supposed to trash fellow MFers. But, hey, strep and bronchial infections kill people. Maybe not YOU but maybe someone near by who catches it. Sometimes they lose whole nurseries of babies. Going to work three days after giving birth? No wonder you wear size zero. You have holes in your head. Like I am one to talk. Was not going to come to work today because I broke a toe. Nobody to cover for me. Am at work. Why do we think we are indispensable?

Actually, I said 0-4. I'll have to amend that too. I've been doing so many glute exercises these days, it's had the effect of a Brazilian butt lift without the surgery. Now, it's more like 2-4, which I am fine with.

No, I don't have pics. :lol:

When I was a retail buyer, I had 10 to 15 salespeople in my department. When one would come in noticeably ill, I would send her home and call for a temp. "Selling Services" used to scream at me that I couldn't DO that. I continued to do it as long as I held that position.

To me, it made so much more sense to replace one person than it did to allow that one person to infect the rest of the group and necessitate my requesting 12 replacements. The "9th floor" never saw it my way. I'm thrilled to see that decades later someone does.

I have one teenaged son who does chores without complaint, doesn't procrastinate, and generally doesn't give attitude. My other teenaged son treats each request to take out the garbage like I asked for the donation of a major body organ. I realized, thankfully relatively quickly, that I was requesting more of the cooperative kid simply because it was easier on ME...but in the long run, I didn't help anyone out...the spoiled one, the worker, or the men they will someday become.

Yikes. I'm feeling a little guilty reading this.

I have one teenaged son who does chores without complaint, doesn't procrastinate, and generally doesn't give attitude. My other teenaged son treats each request to take out the garbage like I asked for the donation of a major body organ. I realized, thankfully relatively quickly, that I was requesting more of the cooperative kid simply because it was easier on ME.

As a boy, I was the cooperative one, my elder brother, the refuser. He had a very free-flowing and varied childhood and adolescence. And since my mother had had a stroke very young and was crippled and often in hospital, I spent lots of my childhood and adolescence looking after houshold things.

Mike seems fairly stable and well-adjusted as an adult. I'm often hag-ridden with anxiety and depression.

The "nature or nurture" question occupies me often.