Ed Ward revisits the Pogues

I heard Ed Ward's piece about the Pogues on Fresh Air last night (click).

I didn't realize that the nice folks at Rhino have re-released the Pogues' first five albums. I'm a big fan of the Pogues and, though none of the music played in the piece will be new to fans of the band, it was really fun to hear the songs mixed into the finely crafted tribute.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They played for five (5!) consecutive nights at the Fillmore in SF in October -- I'm not sure any other band has the cache to do that. I went on Wednesday, during the middle of their stint and it was quite a show...

They played for five (5!) consecutive nights at the Fillmore in SF in October -- I'm not sure any other band has the cache to do that. I went on Wednesday, during the middle of their stint and it was quite a show...

Was MacGowan fronting for those shows? I assume he was.

Ed Ward rightfully states the the Pogues and MacGowan need each other (similar to Johnny Marr and Morrissey, in my opinion). Better than the sum of their parts.

One of greatest songwriters of our time.

Indeed they do need each other but I attended a gig shortly after MacGowan was thrown out of the band and before he rejoined, this bought out a few protestors who had a banner "Have you no Shane?" :lol: Joe Strummer took the lead and very well he did regaling us with the Pogues favourites as well as some Clash numbers - a memorable gig but not in the same league of any gig with MacGowan staggering around the stage bottle of whisky in one hand, microphone and cigarette in the other.

I've been fortunate enough to see them many times. As time has gone on I've found it both exciting but at the same time a little sad, especially as he danced around the stage with Cait O'Riordan instead of Kirsty MacColl shortly after her untimely death.

Unfortunately it's becoming clear that his genius doesn't apparently extend to allowing him to recognise that he is slowly killing himself :lol:

Was MacGowan fronting for those shows? I assume he was.

Ed Ward rightfully states the the Pogues and MacGowan need each other (similar to Johnny Marr and Morrissey, in my opinion). Better than the sum of their parts.

Don't know about all of the nights but he was there the night I went.

Unfortunately it's becoming clear that his genius doesn't apparently extend to allowing him to recognise that he is slowly killing himself :lol:

Well, you are right to say slowly, because he's been behaving like that since at least 1975, when I first came across him. Have I mentioned before that he didn't have an Irish accent then?

Ah, Wikipedia - love it, hate it.

"...when MacGowan was three months old, they sent him back to Ireland where he lived with his mother's family in Puckane, County Tipperary. While there, he became completely immersed in the traditional music of Irish culture"

Nonsense inserted by a Pogue fan, of course. The next sentence reveals that the complete immersion ceased by the age of six. :lol:

"his earlobe was bitten off"

No it wasn't, despite the hype. It was merely bitten. And the girl responsible was Jane, later of the Modettes.

But the bit you mentioned - yes. Funny how Joe Strummer always got ripped for his posh school origins, while MacGowan get away with it.

Well, you are right to say slowly, because he's been behaving like that since at least 1975, when I first came across him. Have I mentioned before that he didn't have an Irish accent then?

For those quoting evidence that MacGowan is actually English, stop right now! It is widely known that the Pogues are essentially an English Band playing Irish influenced music: Spider Stacey, Jem Finer, James Fearnly, Darryl Hunt, Adnrew Ranken and Macgown, are all English born. Cait O'Riordan was born in Nigeria before moving to London. Terry Woods and Phil Chevron were born in Ireland,

As I have said elsewhere, the ubiquity of Wikipedia is truly disturbing. I am accustomed to it being the number one result for all kinds of searches, but the idea that writers are using it for research is depressing. Maybe the overwhelming majority of articles are fine - who the heck can tell? - but it is fundamentally unedited and littered with what I like to call "crap".