Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Rising Stars, Falling Stars

In addition to Taillevent and Le Cinq, others who lost 3 stars include:

La Ferme de mon pere. Veyrat is selling and hoping to come to Paris.

L'Esperence. Dealing with distracting bankruptcy filings at the moment.

Buerehiesel.

Not mentioned in the prior post, in the winner's column, I found it interesting that Lameloise recovered its previously lost third star. I was there in October. Frankly, I'm hesitant to think that they should be more than 2.

Le Bec has excellent cuisine. See my post on this chef's cuisine. He would have been promoted earlier if he hadn't gotten Chef de l'Annee whilst an unstarred-Michelin chef a few years again in the Gault-Millau.

L'Astrance is just an amazing restaurant.

Beurehiesel -- A Westermann issued a press release a while back, saying that he was handing this restaurant over to his son and was "returning" his three stars (a la Senderens). So demotion is not surprising.

I think Taillevent and Le Cinq are deserving of a demotion, although, by that standard, a lot of other three stars would be as well (e.g., Auberge de l'Ill, but that restaurant is a lot more politically connected and I suspect they wouldn't do that whilst Paul H was still around to witness it). Actually, Le Cinq has some pretty good game dishes in the wintertime, but that's no reason to otherwise leave an otherwise undeserving restaurant at a three-star level.

I'm pleasantly surprised about Lameloise. I would have thought its cuisine was too rooted in Burgundian tradition to warrant 3 star status. As for Pic, everything there in 2005 signified 3 star aspirations. The fact that its been acheived is clearly not from want of trying. Are three stars deserved? Well the place is well behind Trosgros and Bras, but if you compare to, say, Regis Marcon then I would say just about.

I see that Le Meurice is predicted to get its third star. I just want to make clear that there is no reason to believe that this is connected with my dining there on Wednesday, which meal I am about to report in this forum :lol:

I think the information is already out, or? At least, the new German stars were announced in Seuddetsche Zeitung last Monday, and seem to have been updated online. I have a rant about acquarello(*) on chowhound, if you are bored. Terrine(bg) was very nice though. And now that I am back in the midwest, I enjoyed a plate of pad thai the other day while the restaurant manager vacuumed around my feet.

Le Bec has excellent cuisine. See my post on this chef's cuisine. He would have been promoted earlier if he hadn't gotten Chef de l'Annee whilst an unstarred-Michelin chef a few years again in the Gault-Millau.

L'Astrance is just an amazing restaurant.

Beurehiesel -- A Westermann issued a press release a while back, saying that he was handing this restaurant over to his son and was "returning" his three stars (a la Senderens). So demotion is not surprising.

I think Taillevent and Le Cinq are deserving of a demotion, although, by that standard, a lot of other three stars would be as well (e.g., Auberge de l'Ill, but that restaurant is a lot more politically connected and I suspect they wouldn't do that whilst Paul H was still around to witness it). Actually, Le Cinq has some pretty good game dishes in the wintertime, but that's no reason to otherwise leave an otherwise undeserving restaurant at a three-star level.

I had quite a good meal at le cinq last year: very traditional food and such a beautiful room as well, but I can see why they might want to demote it. However I thought it was still substantially better than RHR, in London. Any chance of a demotion there?

Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at Royal Hospital Road.

Apparently it used to be good, but the last meal I had there was really rather poor.

The service is excellent though.