Am I the only one left on earth who remembers the great pot smoker John Sinclair,...

Manager of the MC5? I have the vaguest recollection that John Whiting knew him and that we once had a conversation about it. Am I joining the dots correctly, Maurice?

Yeah, he managed the Motor City Five after he got out of jail on the pot charges. There are vast lacunae in my memory banks, but a bell is tinkling somewhere. Our discussion was on another site, and it wasn't Whiting but someone else who had a memory of Sinclair. He (whoever it was) and I discussed it, but I'm not sure if it was in public. I know Sinclair was in New Orleans when Katrina hit, but I haven't been able to find him on my radar.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sometimes call my mother "Sue Barton" because apparently there was a series called "Sue Barton, Student Nurse" that she used to love. She went on to become a nurse, by the way, much as Jaymes went to be a go-go dancer after reading Nancy Drew.

I LOVED, and I mean, LOVED the Sue Barton books. At that time, I was sure I was going to be a nurse(sometimes, i wonder if I made the right decision)...They dealt with each year of her nursing school experience, and what student nurses had to go thru at that time. She wasn't a detective, just had nursing adventures. And, she had a real boy-friend, that she actually kissed, unlike Nancy Drew, and had a fairly tumultuous relationship with...She actually did nursing in the books.

We sometimes call my mother "Sue Barton" because apparently there was a series called "Sue Barton, Student Nurse" that she used to love. She went on to become a nurse, by the way, much as Jaymes went to be a go-go dancer after reading Nancy Drew.

I LOVED, and I mean, LOVED the Sue barton books. At that time, I was sure I was going to be a nurse9soemtimes, i wonder if I made the right decision)...They dealt with each year of her nrusing school experience, and what student nurses had to go thru at that time. She wasn't a detective, just had nursing adventures. And, she had a real boy-friend, that she actually kissed, unlike nancy drew, and had a fairly tumultuos relationship with...She actually did nursing in the books.

I'll tell her about this. SHe'll get a kick out of it. And she really went on to become a nurse. She has the bad back and knees to prove it!

I LOVED, and I mean, LOVED the Sue Barton books. At that time, I was sure I was going to be a nurse. sometimes, i wonder if I made the right decision)...They dealt with each year of her nursing school experience, and what student nurses had to go thru at that time. She wasn't a detective, just had nursing adventures. And, she had a real boy-friend, that she actually kissed, unlike nancy drew, and had a fairly tumultuos relationship with...She actually did nursing in the books.
I'll tell her about this. SHe'll get a kick out of it. And she really went on to become a nurse. She has the bad back and knees to prove it!

Did anyone else's mother go on to be a go-go dancer?

(By the way, nurses aren't the only ones to develop bad backs and knees.)

I still have my childhood copies of Now We Are Six (1946), The Borrowers (1953) and Stuart Little (1954). My copy of Charlotte's Web went by the wayside and I had to buy a new one.

My mother was a tap dancer. <_<

Re; kids' books.

I was obsessed with the Childhoods of Famous Americans series. They were hardcover, bound in orange and the illustrations were all in silhouette mode. I loved them. When my kids became old enough to read them, I bought them all over again: now they are in paperback with real illustrations. When I started buying them for my kids, it used to weird me out to see the bios of JFK and "modern" famous Americans: all the ones I had read as a kid were about ancients like George Washington Carver and Clara Barton. It really reminded me how old I actually was!

I loved those books. But my true childhood favorites were the Dr. Dolittle books. Probably very politically incorrect today. I also read most of the Hardy Boys books and a series about a character named Dave Dawson, who, judging by the books, singlehandedly won World War II.

Oh, man, if we're going to talk about concerts . . .

My first -- KISS at the Omni in Atlanta 1977, the Alive II tour. Cheap Trick opening. Both just back from Japan. So, yeah, for those keeping score, Cheap Trick did a live show of the just-recorded Budakon set (not released until 1979, as I recall). I have huge swaths of my childhood that are blank to me, but this concert, at least parts of it, are jewel clear. Coolest thing ever.

My brother and I were huge KISS fans, but the moment I recall most clearly is Robin Zander launching into I Want You to Want Me and hearing Rick Nielson's guitar kick in and thinking, "God, I've got to learn how to do that."

Chad

Whoa, that's when I was in Atlanta. My first concert: Georgia Jam at the Atlanta Stadium, June 1, 1974, which made me fifteen. It poured starting in the afternoon, and the Allmans didn't get onstage until after dark. Great day, though. The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band, and Grinderswitch were on the bill. (I had thought Wet Willie, but I was wrong.)

Second concert: Fleetwood Mac in Atlanta. Then I won tickets to a Peter Frampton concert at the Omni (an FM radio station was having a trivia contest, and I actually knew Officer Malloy's badge number on Adam-12)...but couldn't go, as I was headed off to college.

Chad, did you grow up around there? I went to Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools.

1st)

Vanilla Fudge at the Schaeffer Music Festival, Wollman Skating Rink, summer of '68. I believe the Ultimate Spinach was the warm-up. Hosted by Jonathon Schwartz; the morning DJ on kinda new, WNEW-FM.

All for a buck.

WNEW-FM. Jonathon Schwartz, Scott Muni, Roscoe, Alison Steele.

Ah, the Nightbird. I loved her. When I used to get stuck doing overnights (on a small commerical rock station in 80s) I used to tell myself, "If it's good enough for Allsion Steele..."

And then I quit radio because the money sucked <_<

First concert: Aerosmith with Blue Oster Cult opening.