• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember two trips to Europe when I was 7 or 8, my middle sister was 5 or 6, my little sister was 1 or 2. My middle sister and I went shopping for my mother for "travel dresses." We went to a very nice girls dress shop and we were allowed to pick our own travel dresses. I still remember how the fabrice felt, and what the dresses looked like. We still have the mini deck of cards from the plane. We had matching coats and white gloves too! And patent leather shoes with white ankle socks with lace.

Mine was pale blue dotted swiss, with a dropped waist, smocking on the yoke, a white collar, and red bow at the neck. And always the white lace socks with patent leather shoes.

I was nine. Nine-year-olds don't dress like that any more. My daughter is seven and people think she's too old for smocked dresses. :lol: Remember when little girls dressed like little girls?

The day FDR died?
For sure. I was a really little kid, and the woman next door called me over to the gate and told me to go tell my parents. All my life up til then I had heard of FDR described as the worst of all evils, so I thought the devil had died. (Don't worry, I've reversed politics from my parents!)

Did your parents consider him a "traitor to our class."
Hehehehe. How time goes by.

At a recent dinner, we joked about how two of the couples had Porsches and another a Mercedes, and how none of us wanted to take them to the mountain during ski season because of salt on the roads. So we pooled together and bought a really clapped out ancient Peugeot which we nursed through the season. Our son's fiance asked, "How come everyone had Porsches and Mercedes?" Our son answered, "They were their generation's yuppys!" :lol:

I remember two trips to Europe when I was 7 or 8, my middle sister was 5 or 6, my little sister was 1 or 2. My middle sister and I went shopping for my mother for "travel dresses." We went to a very nice girls dress shop and we were allowed to pick our own travel dresses. I still remember how the fabrice felt, and what the dresses looked like. We still have the mini deck of cards from the plane. We had matching coats and white gloves too! And patent leather shoes with white ankle socks with lace.

Mine was pale blue dotted swiss, with a dropped waist, smocking on the yoke, a white collar, and red bow at the neck. And always the white lace socks with patent leather shoes.

I was nine. Nine-year-olds don't dress like that any more. My daughter is seven and people think she's too old for smocked dresses. :lol: Remember when little girls dressed like little girls?

Yes.

My first transatlantic trip was New York to Brussels. We flew Sabina Airlines. I distinctly remember my double breasted white wool traveling coat with a belt in the back. Black leather MaryJanes though - I did 12 years of Catholic school and you know how the nuns feel about patent leather! I was also never allowed to part my hair down the middle - always pulled back off my face with a headband or barrette. My mother considered hair on the face "dirty'.

Took the SS America from NYC to Southampton. It was a 5 day crossing: when we left New York, people were actually standing on the dock, waving goodbye and throwing streamers.

Salvador Dali was on board - he sat behind me and my brother at some hokey movie and afterwards I got his autograph.

Anyone else remember a chain called Sambo's? They were Denny's-type places. I believe they started in CA, and the name came from a combination of the two guys who started it. Their downfall was actually both the name and the mascot, which IIRC was a little Indian prince but nevertheless got them accused of all sorts of racial insensitivities. We used to go to the one by us all the time because it was cheap and the food tasted good. I think ours went out of business around 1978 or 1979, to be replaced by a McDonald's which is still there (and where I worked for a grand total of 2 days, but that's another story).

Anyone else remember a chain called Sambo's? They were Denny's-type places. I believe they started in CA, and the name came from a combination of the two guys who started it. Their downfall was actually both the name and the mascot, which IIRC was a little Indian prince but nevertheless got them accused of all sorts of racial insensitivities. We used to go to the one by us all the time because it was cheap and the food tasted good. I think ours went out of business around 1978 or 1979, to be replaced by a McDonald's which is still there (and where I worked for a grand total of 2 days, but that's another story).

I remember Sambo's. The last one in LA I remember seeing was in the San Fernando Valley.

Learning to read maps because GPS didn't exist?

Long division?

HP calculators with trig functions?

The original Mac with no internal memory?

Dot matrix printers?

Daisy wheel printers?

Betamax?

8 mm home movies?

Slide projectors?

Using a primitive computerized type-setting machine to produce my college newspaper, which I was news editor and then editor in chief of. You typed in the text on a word processor/clunky PC thing, choosing font, column width and size, and it was printed on heavy stock which had to be cut up to fit, laid out and pasted on boards before being sent to the printer. Man, it was a pain in the ass. I learned to be very creative with headlines and graphics in order to fill dead space.

And we too were dressed up for air travel--we went back and forth between Chicago where we lived for a while and NY (hometown of both parents) a lot. I remember when I was four or five puking all over a blue and white flowered dress with a velvet ribbon round the waist and the flight attendant saying to my mother that I had motion sickness. "Nonsense, " said my mother, "she's an experienced flyer--she has some sort of bug." :lol:

Very much! My favorite breakfast joint with the best waffles and pancakes and a syrup you could buy to take home.

The last time I went through the joke that is known as "airport security", removing my explosive shoes and throwing away my toxic contact lens solution, all the while being yelled at by an inbred ex-con to hurry up, I turned to the woman next to me and said, "Do you remember when flying was fun?"