I took my son to Uchi for his birthday. This is our second visit, and we decided to do the tasting menu. The place was packed: we arrived for dinner at 6:30, and when we left there looked to be about an hour's wait for a a table. I mention this because our sevice was rushed - courses came out at an annoying pace, even when I asked out waitperson to slow it down. Tyson Cole was behind the sushi counter all evening and seemed to not have a second's rest. Perhaps he was short-handed. We were given a 15% industry discount which was very nice.

The last time we had the tasting menu, we were blown away by every course. This time, there were a couple of standouts and two that didn't live up to our expectations.

We started with the crudo: raw red snapper, grapeseed oil, yuzu, garlic and black pepper in an orange juice vinaigrette. Excellent. The maguro sashimi and goat cheese with cracked pepper, fuji apple and pumpkin seed oil was also good, although we were a little puzzled by the goat cheese. The hamachi "bacon" was a dry cured hamachi, then smoked and artfully arranged on the plate with wafer-thin slices of taro chips that had been fried to look like bacon strips. Very good!

DPan seared diver scallops were perfect with the addition of toasted brazil nuts and marcona almonds with another citrusy sauce. There was a LOT of citrus in the recipes...

The pork tenderloin was a huge portion and disappointed. I can't even remember what they did to it. It was tender and flavorful but "flat". The seared foie gras on brioche was excellent as always. Dessert was a lovely citrusy vanilla sorbet with an orange tuille and creme anglaise.

The bill was very reasonable: that tasting menu fed three of us. We didn't drink, so that kept the cost down.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made to Uchi tonight...what an amazing experience.

Wish I paid more attention to keeping notes of each course, but there were so many! My buddy knows Tyson so we sat by the sushi bar and put ourselves in his hands. The eel and Spanish mackerel courses were outstanding. Not sure what I thought about the foe gras pared with peanut butter...... The only miss was the duck dish, it was overcooked. Parsnip custard with almond ice cream for dessert was memorable.

Guest Aaron T

We started with the crudo: raw red snapper, grapeseed oil, yuzu, garlic and black pepper in an orange juice vinaigrette. Excellent. The maguro sashimi and goat cheese with cracked pepper, fuji apple and pumpkin seed oil was also good, although we were a little puzzled by the goat cheese.

That crudo sounds wonderful. Cheese with sashimi sounds odd and not very tasty. How was the plate arranged? Goat cheese seems way too strong a flavor and texture to put on high quality sashimi.

What did you think of the quality of the fish overall?

The quality of the fish is fantastic. The plates are arranged very artistically with a lot of thought put into them. The goat cheese was meant to be paired with the apple slices on the plate - as such, it worked. But I didn't think it worked with the fish. It's a fairly mild, and very fresh goat cheese from a local dairy - Pure Luck.