Wilfrid1

Barcelona recommendations

A person could do worse than listen to you on Barcelona and Maurice on Paris. Good stuff. OK, and Slapsie on London. [OK, before any one chimes in: a person could go broke following Cabrales around Paris. :D ]

OK. I've figured out what a nice accompaniment to Barcelona (and my first experience at EB) would be. There are trains of roughly 4.5-6 hours from Barcelona to either (1) Montpellier, a good place to drive to Michel Bras, or (2) Toulouse, which is within 1.5 hours of Michel Trama (a three-star I have never visited). :lol: Obviously, Jardin des Sens would be a possibility in Montpellier, for those who like the restaurant (myself excluded).

In Barcelona, I'm targeting Casa Calvet -- a restaurant inside a Gaudi-designed building, with Gaudi-designed interiors! :o

What are the relative merits of the following:

Alkimia

Hisup

Comerc 24

Or there's a train to Madrid to try La Broche.

I tried to go to Comerc 24 once, but failed to find it. :huh:

It's stale advice, but I had a lovely meal at Gaig a while back.

Two good wine shops: a branch of the Madrid/Paris Lavinia, big, fancy, and grand; and also Vinoteca Vila, run by local hero Quim Vila.

I've written about Comerc 24 elsewhere and I personally think it a very good restaurant. Lunch at Ca L'Isdre and dinner at Comerc 24 were at completely different ends of the scale when it came to style of cuisine (and restaurant interiors) but both more than made up for my disappointing meal at EB

Incientally, Wilfred, its on Comerc, number 24 :)

I had trouble finding it as well, the road numbers seem to reset themselves halfway up the street

Er, yes, that's the address I thought I headed for. I think there might be two streets called Comerc, but I was never sure... :(

Wilfrid -- If you haven't yet completed your latest trip to Barcelona, I'd suggest booking Alkimia. It's not far from the sagrada Familia, and Jordi Vila is cooking well. For 40 euros, one gets either (1) a chef's tasting menu "surprise", or (2) a choice from the menu of 2 appetizers, 1 fish dish, 1 main course and 2 desserts, with cheese being a possible substitution for one of the desserts). Nice dishes included: Anchovies with a fresh tomato, onions al dente, recuit (spanish cheese ice cream salad; sauteed ceps with fatty pork neck meat. Dining room team assistance was appropriate; white minimalist decor; short, but appropriate, wine list.

Sorry I haven't posted this sooner - but this is a massive THANK YOU to Wilf for the 1st post.

We didn't buy a guidebook for our trip, we just took the free maps the hotel offered and kept Wilfs post. :D

It was the most handy thing to have touring Barcelona.

Not asking for ten thousand words, but if you have time to divulge anything you especially liked or disliked, I'd love to hear.

Well they did, didn't they :D

Although I noticed one restaurant report that didn't appear on these pages :huh:

v

Any lodging recommendations? Specifically, has anyone used an agency to rent a flat for a week? I have found a few sites but would love a first person reco for Barcelona as well as renting a house in Costa Brava.

muchos gracias.