Wilfrid1

Barcelona recommendations

Well said Pim. Tapas is something for everyone and only a small mouthful if you don;t like it. If you go to Pacomeralgo you must eat a bomba, the great Barcelona invention of a ball of mash potato and chopped meat with spicy sauce. Also open on a Sunday are Rias de Galicia (good fish and shelfish for millionaires) and Els Pescadors in Poble Nou which is a very nice place with good but not as good as they say food. I think Barceloneta which is the same owners as Pacomeralgo is also open.

Well said Pim. Tapas is something for everyone and only a small mouthful if you don;t like it. If you go to Pacomeralgo you must eat a bomba, the great Barcelona invention of a ball of mash potato and chopped meat with spicy sauce. Also open on a Sunday are Rias de Galicia (good fish and shelfish for millionaires) and Els Pescadors in Poble Nou which is a very nice place with good but not as good as they say food. I think Barceloneta which is the same owners as Pacomeralgo is also open.

I agree completely -- it isn't a foodie issue for me as much as it is a restaurant issue and why I so often eat alone. I deal with people (I am very sorry to say) who, while traveling, are happier eating snacks from the minibars than to be bothered with sitting down for sustenance! THAT is my battle! I am often forced into eating at "whatever is closest" so as to "save time" than to be able to hunt out a really great place for food... When I have to travel to these meetings, a lot of these people will just eat at whatever is offered in the hotel bar because most of the deals are done over voluminous alcohol. Part of why I am excited about Spain -- most of the bars INCLUDE tapas so I'll get to eat while everyone else is just drinking! (Likewise, most of London's meetings will be taking place in pubs!)

Tapas is a pretty low stress meal for non-foodie I think. It's not like you're dragging them to l'Esguard or anything... :huh:

That read like a pretty high stress meal for anyone, foodie or not. :lol:

we booked our apartment thru,

Feel at home Barcelona dot com

modern clean and nice.

The apartment I used to stay at went off the market a while ago, so I am going to try the above. :)

hmmm, my two cents: The flat looks great, and Nou de la Ramba street is quite centrally located, but not great at night...

Quick report - most of it has been good, some mediocre...

I stumbled on Irati for brunch which was great as I was starving. A similarly-styled Bilbao Bressia was not as good today. Taller de Tapas was appalling for its service (charged for two items we didn't get and VERY rude). El Pi Antic had reasonably flavorful roast rabbit but was diminished in being served with French Fries. Was down by the water and although it looked touristy, had very good razor-back clams, cod fritters, and a cold lobster salad (will come up with name later).

Mostly stumbling around and my attempts to say "let's go to THIS specific place to eat have been unsuccessful." One more day here, so I'm keeping fingers crossed for either Rias de Galicia or Paco Meralgo.

They have a number of apartments at that site.

yes, in the same building, as far as I can tell.

not all in the same building off las ramblas. They have a building in the financial district

They have a number of apartments at that site.

yes, in the same building, as far as I can tell.

not all in the same building off las ramblas. They have a building in the financial district

Sorry, I read "site" and I thought he meant that building. By financial district you mean Sarria/Pedralbes?

We have several restaurants on the repeat visit list - Abac, Hisop, Cal Pep, Can Fabes, Tapac 24. Anything else worth trying? (also considering Pim's lead Paco Meralgo for Sunday). Alkimia?

We have several restaurants on the repeat visit list - Abac, Hisop, Cal Pep, Can Fabes, Tapac 24. Anything else worth trying? (also considering Pim's lead Paco Meralgo for Sunday). Alkimia?

Gresca, Lasarte, Artkuisine, Coure, Colibri. Bear in mind also that Abac has moved to Av. Tibidabo.

Also, if you have a car (how are you getting to Can Fabes, train?) you might want to consider some of the options outside the city proper: Hispania, Els Casals, Can Jubany, etc.

No car I'm afraid, we'll be hanging out with the in crowd at the station, but thanks for the recommendations in town!

2429101331_dd0cf04de4.jpg

What do you think about Sauc?

What do you think about Sauc?

Great pic!

I like Sauc. I think there's a "cluster" of restaurants in the city that are all quite good, in the same price bracket, and IMHO hard to tell appart quality-wise. There's not one that stands out, I think. The list includes Alkimia, Colibri, Sauc, Hisop, Cinc Sentits, etc.

Generally speaking it's hard to go wrong with any of these, but then again hard to recommend one over the others solely based on quality.

Above this bracket you have the "hotel" bracket: Drolma, Lasarte, Abac, etc. They are generally more expensive. I personally like Abac and Lasarte quite a bit.

There's also a lot of new or pseudo-new interesting places below the cluster. The now so-called "bistronomique" restaurants, they tend to offer menus with less luxury ingredients, concentrate on market cooking with ann emphasis on technique. Within this group I particularly like Gresca and Coure, and I find Artkuisine also worth mentioning.