Wilfrid1

Barcelona recommendations

We have several restaurants on the repeat visit list - Abac, Hisop, Cal Pep, Can Fabes, Tapac 24. Anything else worth trying? (also considering Pim's lead Paco Meralgo for Sunday). Alkimia?

Bearing in mind that you are using the train - Sant Pau is worth the 40 min beautiful trip.

Also, depending on how long your visit is, consider jumping on a train to Girona to go to Can Roca.

We have several restaurants on the repeat visit list - Abac, Hisop, Cal Pep, Can Fabes, Tapac 24. Anything else worth trying? (also considering Pim's lead Paco Meralgo for Sunday). Alkimia?

Bearing in mind that you are using the train - Sant Pau is worth the 40 min beautiful trip.

Also, depending on how long your visit is, consider jumping on a train to Girona to go to Can Roca.

ditto on Can Roca.

Thanks Sam, SD. Last time at Abac was great (amazing peas & cod "tripe") and I can imagine the new location can only be better...

My sanity is being questioned by Sivan for suggesting we could go from Sant Celoni to Girona for lunch :lol:

My sanity is being questioned by Sivan for suggesting we could go from Sant Celoni to Girona for lunch :lol:

If you need a character witness to defend your position, just give me a call. I think it's one of the sanest (is that a word?) suggestions I've heard in quite a while! :D

If you need a character witness to defend your position, just give me a call. I think it's one of the sanest (is that a word?) suggestions I've heard in quite a while! :D

Now that I've found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/encantadisimo...57594588589365/

my sanity is at even greater risk.

Now that I've found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/encantadisimo...57594588589365/

my sanity is at even greater risk.

Encantadisimo's pictures... it's a pity he stopped blogging, he had good reviews on many new and up and coming restaurants.

do you know anything about Capritx in Terrassa?

Never heard of it.

This is all useful. I plan to go back next year - it's been a while.

Yes, indeed. Getting to know Madrid over the last few years has meant too long away from Barcelona. I have to catch up on newer places. I just made a rough list from the previous pages on this thread, and need to do more research.

I have the impression Botafumeiro is no longer a top recommendation for seafood?

Rias de Galicia

Elkano

El Glop

Abac

Hisop

Sauc

Alkimia

Cata 1.81

Paco Meralgo

Inopia

Tapaç24

La Clara

Lonja de Tapas

Cinc Sentits

Quimet y Quimet

I certainly won't get to all the above. Am I missing anything essential? It would also be helpful to know if any places on that list are hyper-formal.

I also need to go through these photos Orik linked to.

If you won't get to all, then let me recommend you skip Elkano, El Glop, Cata 181, Inopia, La Clara and Lonja de Tapas. While good, not part of any "top 5" list.

I think the remainder is a good list to start with.

Rias de Galicia

Abac

Hisop

Sauc

Alkimia

Paco Meralgo

Tapaç24

Cinc Sentits

Quimet y Quimet

From the Encantadisimo list (the one Orik linked to), I would highly recommend Gresca, Coure and Artkuisine, in that order.

Thanks. Are any of the restaurants now on the list very formal?

Abac is possibly the most formal of them all. Keep in mind though that dining in Spain is a very informal affair. A nice shirt and slacks are enough.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. The concern is not about dressing up, but whether any of the restaurants are really unsuitable for a child (almost eight years old, quite experienced at dining out). Anything short of a temple of gastronomy serving four hour meals should be fine, though.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. The concern is not about dressing up, but whether any of the restaurants are really unsuitable for a child (almost eight years old, quite experienced at dining out). Anything short of a temple of gastronomy serving four hour meals should be fine, though.

I've been with my 6-yr-o to Abac, Cinc Sentits, Tapaç 24 and Paco Meralgo (this last one many times, since it's one of our favorites for Sunday evening). I think Spain is generally more open to kids in restaurants than say the US or the UK.

Perhaps the only one which might make your kid feel uncomfortable is Quimet i Quimet: small room, very crowded, no seats.

Understood.

I plan to subject the poor child to the fantastically crowded and seatless seafood restaurant in Granada which only opens for about an hour every evening. :lol:

Should be able to do five or six of those places.

Understood.

I plan to subject the poor child to the fantastically crowded and seatless seafood restaurant in Granada which only opens for about an hour every evening. :lol:

Should be able to do five or six of those places.

I guess that's El Diamante (Los Diamantes?). I think Cata 1.81 would be great fun for a seven year old. Inopia too. And I know from experience that Rias de Galicia is good with children. Not sure about Alkimia though - it's become a little precious and stiff.