Wilfrid1

Barcelona recommendations

Los Diamantes is great. We were in Granada for 4 nights, stumbled upon it on the first night and ended up eating there every day. I didn't realize it was a well known place. In a town filled with tourists though it seemed to have a decent proportion of locals, or at least Spanish tourists.

Granada didn't really have great food options.

If this is the fish place I'm talking about*, I was certainly the only tourist. You need to be able to shout in Spanish and use your elbows. A lot of fun in a way. It doesn't seem to occur to them that they could stay open all evening rather than have people storm the place for a couple of hours.

I have a pretty good idea where I'll be eating in Granada, but I'd have to look up the names.

*Yes, that seems to be the one.

The new Abac digs are nicer - still mostly tourists, but not as many high class prostitutes. The two dishes we had both times (peas and cod tripe, suckling pig) were as good as before. Of the others I'd recommend the prawn appetizer. A lobster bolognese pasta was amusing, but that's not enough to make a dish. Wild sea bass in red wine reduction and salsify was tasty (in particular the fish itself was great), but not essential. Spectacular cheeses. Mixed service. Do not under any circumstances take your coffee in the lounge.

Paco Meralgo - everything we ate was good and proficiently prepared, but there's probably a bit of a food board hype element to the online descriptions. It's a good place for Sunday evening (especially if you're in the mood for some fried zucchini blossom, asparagus, anchovies, shrimps in garlic butter, croquettes, baby squid and beans, langoustines, espardenyes, oysters, razor clams, and of course pa amb tomaquet, which they seem to have mastered) and only one dish was horribly salty, but there's more interesting stuff to eat and I don't think it's really aiming at the level of the high end Galician places. Still I'd go back often enough if I lived here.

I agree, Paco Meralgo is suffering from the same type of hype Cal Pep does (ok, not the same: Paco Meralgo is actually a nice place to eat).

When I recommend it I describe it as, indeed, a great Sunday spot, but not in the same league as other, much better places. They are proficient at preparing the type of dishes they offer, they have good ingredients, it's fairly well located and, above all, the Sunday-factor(but only if you arrive early and/or get a reservation).

The group managing it has 2 or 3 more restaurants, one of which I've visited several times lately (Vinya Roel, a few blocks away), with similar food and prices, but the atmosphere is not as trendy as Paco Meralgo. It's better suited for children, as they have proper tables (not the high stalls PM has) and a more spacious room.

Paco Meralgo - everything we ate was good and proficiently prepared, but there's probably a bit of a food board hype element to the online descriptions. It's a good place for Sunday evening (especially if you're in the mood for some fried zucchini blossom, asparagus, anchovies, shrimps in garlic butter, croquettes, baby squid and beans, langoustines, espardenyes, oysters, razor clams, and of course pa amb tomaquet, which they seem to have mastered) and only one dish was horribly salty, but there's more interesting stuff to eat and I don't think it's really aiming at the level of the high end Galician places. Still I'd go back often enough if I lived here.

I could understand some of that, but not the connection with Iceland.

I will have a kitchen. :)

Then let me tell you what the lady from the offal stand told me: "next time when you just want a brain you don't take a number and wait, just tell me. Here, I'll give you lots of parsley."

Earlier reference to Cal Pep no longer being pleasant.

What happened there? Just too popular?

Of the following, which require advance reservation? Thanks as always:

Rias de Galicia

Ateneu Gastronomic

Abac

Hisop

Sauc

Paco Meralgo

Tapaç24

Cinc Sentits

Artkuisine

Gresca

Coure

El Glop

(Not planning to visit all of them, just thinking...)

all of these need reservations:

Rias de Galicia

Abac

Hisop

Sauc

Cinc Sentits

Artkuisine

Gresca

Coure

El Glop

I don't know what Ateneu Gastronomic is. And I don't think El Glop is in the same category as the others you mention.

Paco Meralgo you need a reservation, but they are weird about them. You can be there early on a slow day (ie Tue-Thur) and will get seated almost for sure, or after a short wait. But by all means give it a try with the resv if you end up going there.