Wilfrid1

Barcelona recommendations

I don't know if I said that but I agree anyway.

Other side of Via Laietana might suit you.

I had no idea that area uptown ( I have no idea what the nomenclature is, but away from the water) from El Born but still in the old town had a name.

I had no idea that area uptown ( I have no idea what the nomenclature is, but away from the water) from El Born but still in the old town had a name.

That is Sant Pere, straight "uptown" from El Borne and between Via Laietana and Parc de la Ciutadella. Not a beautiful area either, IMHO.

That is Sant Pere, straight "uptown" from El Borne and between Via Laietana and Parc de la Ciutadella. Not a beautiful area either, IMHO.

If you were a tourist what neighborhood would you want to stay in? As a local are there any online sources (blogs, professional websites, etc) you recommend for info on dining, events, etc. English, Spanish - I could even entertain myself with things in Catalan if they are especially note worthy.

If you were a tourist what neighborhood would you want to stay in? As a local are there any online sources (blogs, professional websites, etc) you recommend for info on dining, events, etc. English, Spanish - I could even entertain myself with things in Catalan if they are especially note worthy.

I'm with Orik - best busy yourself and stay outside the centre. The Eixample is a better place to stay - quieter and much less touristy. La Guia is the local listings mag but beware the restaurant criticas (reviews) - they are not very critical. So far as restaurants are concerned, I think the better ones are all recommended on this thread, though I'd certainly include Inopia and - if you like ham - Jamonisimo. As an alternative to Can Roca and Girona, you can take a nice fifty minute train ride straight up the coast to San Pol de Mar and Carme Ruscalleda's (spelling?) restaurant of the same name.

i'm going in next month and having such a hard time choosing places to eat. i'll only be there 3 days so it depresses me to look at my wish list and try to narrow down

I'm with Orik - best busy yourself and stay outside the centre. The Eixample is a better place to stay - quieter and much less touristy. La Guia is the local listings mag but beware the restaurant criticas (reviews) - they are not very critical. So far as restaurants are concerned, I think the better ones are all recommended on this thread, though I'd certainly include Inopia and - if you like ham - Jamonisimo. As an alternative to Can Roca and Girona, you can take a nice fifty minute train ride straight up the coast to San Pol de Mar and Carme Ruscalleda's (spelling?) restaurant of the same name.

Jamonisimo will be a stop on the Saturday we arrive.

American is having a pretty good sale on flights from NY for March at the moment. $423 all in.

I think the locals all stay outside the city.

Last time we were near Placa de Catalunya, which is a quick stroll from the old city. (I guess that counts as Eixample). Thinking about it, the area just around MACBA isn't half bad either, but not a few blocks down...

I like Madrid much better though, so I'd discount my opinion.

Last time we were near Placa de Catalunya, which is a quick stroll from the old city. (I guess that counts as Eixample). Thinking about it, the area just around MACBA isn't half bad either, but not a few blocks down...

Do you prefer Madrid because of the food or are there other reasons? Just curious.

I am wondering what the impact of the economic catastrophe over there is going to be - especially Madrid where you had massive construction in the suburbs + large influx of migrants + the home of an incredibly centralized finance world which is looking increasingly unstable - although its the caja/caixa that will probably being the most damaged from house price falls.

To your point I am slightly concerned that Barcelona is rapidly approaching Florence/Venice levels of tourist disneyfication.

Do you prefer Madrid because of the food or are there other reasons? Just curious.

I like dense cities with mostly small blocks and relatively flat topography :blush:

I like Paris better than Barcelona as a version of Paris.

I like Amsterdam better than Barcelona as a version of a city in a nation that's not quite as latin as France or most of Spain.

I think Barcelona is still seriously mismanaged, although I realize it used to be even worse. The beaches and the garbage soup they border are just too much to take when you know how they can be (and I realize those too used to be even worse).

I like the food in Madrid better not because there are better examples of *every* style - certainly Madrid is less about the ultra-modern, but because there are dozens of places to get great food, and a real tapas culture. (although based on the last trip not for very long - outside of the weekend Cava Baja was dead)

That still doesn't mean there aren't great things to eat and see in Barcelona, or that cooking a few meals from Boqueria bounty isn't total joy.

I agree with Rohan that the Eixample has all kinds of advantages over the old city - but if someone was going there for the first time, I'd advise them to stay in the old city, noise or no noise. It's the largest preserved hunk of mediaeval city in Europe (bigger than Venice even), and it's probably even more amazing if you're not from Europe in the first place.

(Apologies if I am lecturing, but the Eixample is the extensive nineteenth century development built around the old city on a regular street grid - it means expansion. It's actually full of stunning modernista architecture.)

Madrid does have a better tapas culture than Barcelona, and it has better art museums. I don't recall food markets in Madrid on the scale of La Boqueria and Sant Antoni (but I never had a kitchen in Madrid, so maybe I'm wrong). Barcelona has more beautiful architecture, a lovelier natural setting, better nightlife, and is inexhaustible as all great cities are - not just its size, but there's so much there. I feel I could run out of things to do and see in Madrid; Barcelona - like New York and London - impossible. Personally, I'm fascinated by Catalan history and culture too, and I like the people. I also think Barcelona does have much better restaurants - and, believe me, twenty years ago they were lousy.

This is all very personal, of course.

Yes, it has a few very good modern restaurants, and better markets (and they're improving them). They're more into that than in Madrid, just sayin' I prefer Paris for that (and the best ones aren't in Barcelona proper).

Madrid is just different enough from the rest of western Europe to make up for what it's missing, I think. Not that I'd like to live there for an extended period. probably Barcelona is better for that.

I'm not sure if I wrote about this, because it wasn't much of an item - there's a very modern looking space with, I think, many pretensions, called Matamala:

http://www.matamalarestaurant.com/

We stopped there for coffee one day and was tempted by tiny croissants with some very high quality manchego and jamon - a most delicious single bite of food.

i haven't been to Barcelona in just about a decade and - gasp! - didn't even make it to Boqueria then :o it was more about art and history then, this will be more of a culinary (quickie) trip. although we did make it to Figueras last time, where i remember the cheeses were spectacular. i doubt we'll have the money to splurge this year but i'm mostly torn between old and new and finding a good mix of the two.

i've been making notes as i've been reading this thread but it's still a lot of places: Hisop, Gresca, Cal Pep, Comerc 24, Quim de la Boqueria, Espai Sucre, Inopia, Colibri, Jamonismo, Gaig...

3 days, ha!

That's not a bad list. I think maybe Paco Meralgo is more pleasant than Cal Pep. Cal Pep has better variety but gets horribly salty.