Barcelona recommendations

The food options are broader at Rias. Alot of the Espai kru dishes, especially from the first section can be found of the rias menu. I personally ate at rias rather than espai because I was more interested indulging in the variety of simply prepared seafood rather than slightly cheffier preparations. Room was dead when I went though, and it adds up pretty quick.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An open letter to two esteemed members who are making their first trip to this, one of my three favorite cities, later this summer. Veterans might wish to skip the "obvious" section:   Obvious thin

On many trips to Barcelona, I stayed in an apartment rented out by its owner. I found it in the columns of a newspaper or magazine, and it was great value (they since sold it) - but it's worth lookin

Agree re the cava - it was awful.   The tapas was good though, and the atmosphere fun.   In terms of cost, a couple of poker players shouted our bill.

Day 1:

Got in. Was really jet lagged. Lunch break wasn't long enough to both drop stuff off at hotel + shower and eat lunch. Ended up eating a sad donut from the convention center for 1.50 EUR. Then ate awful convention "tapas" for dinner.

Day 2:

My team met with another attendee for lunch. Judging by the quality of our meal at the mall next to the convention center, I am going to be wasting the next several lunches. Maybe I should skip lunch.

Went to Barraca for dinner. Not the one in New York. Started with some really nice, juicy lightly fried calamari, then got 2 paellas as a group. I mostly ate from a pan with octopus paella. Nice and tasty paella, good crust, not too salty...

Planning and timing were not ideal all around. This is why I'm writing this up (and working) in my hotel room rather than out drinking somewhere, and why I barely got to see half of the posters at the poster session today.

Day 1:

Got in. Was really jet lagged. Lunch break wasn't long enough to both drop stuff off at hotel + shower and eat lunch. Ended up eating a sad donut from the convention center for 1.50 EUR. Then ate awful convention "tapas" for dinner.

You should go here: http://www.eshob.com/restaurantes/lescola/carta-y-menus/menu-de-mercado/

I believe a short walk from where your convention is.

• Like 1

Tickets Bar

Okay, okay, so... nobody's described the food in detail yet, so... I'm not going to be the first to offer spoilers.

This ended up being a 3+ hour solo dinner, and it will probably be the most expensive meal I'll have here by a fair margin at a bit over 200 EUR (what's the going rate for tipping around here anyway?), and...

This is probably the best meal I've had so far all year. The sheer amount of inventive playfulness is just astonishing. I've long since outgrown that phase where I want my food to be overtly intellectualized, but the food here is so full of references, executed with such technical skill... for one or two or three bites, it puts its referents to shame.

This is good. The ingredient quality is top-notch, and did I mention that the cooking was just fantastic? So many things at just the right level of crispiness, so many intense but perfectly-calibrated flavors.

I mean, at not much more than 200 EUR for the full surprise menu + a cocktail + 3 glasses of wine + a dessert sherry, by New York standards, it's a steal. Though Disfrutar lists its menu at 105 EUR, so there's that coming up in a few days as a comparison point, I guess.

I was originally planning to do Rias de Galicia tomorrow for lunch, but I'm not sure that's going to happen any more.

This one time, I wish I'd taken pictures of everything.

If I count everything, that's 26 courses, and I just don't remember everything any more, even with the help of Google.

I'm surprised I finished it all. The last savory course was pretty much an entire damn quail.