Horse Racing

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moving this over from the Barbaro thread.   Horse racing is a sport and Barbaro was an athlete. He was bred to be a race horse.   He was a great horse that had a too short career.   I personall

Isn't a horse also "a piece of machinery built by man" through careful breeding? Actually, Stone seems to make an accurate analogy as both 'machines' are driven/controlled by man, and the man (driver/

That's a good incentive, too! Except they don't know about the knackers until it's too late.

"In today’s equine athlete, however, more nutrients and calories are needed to. support speed, stamina and the power to move faster and jump higher. ..."

It is not only mitchells who would murder the language, then. :lol:

You guys need to get to the track. Then you'll see that some horses are "more athletic" than others.

They may be bigger, stronger, more agile and faster than their competition. More athletic.

Did anyone see Afleet Alex win The Preakness last year? A horse less athletic than Afleet Alex would not have been able to stay up when he clipped heels and would have gone to the ground.

Many of those in the record Preakness crowd of 115,318 at Pimlico Race Course let loose a collective gasp when Afleet Alex, in the middle of a bold move from the back of the 14-horse field, suddenly found leader Scrappy T crossing his path from left to right in reaction to the left-handed whip of jockey Ramon Dominguez at the top of the stretch.

“The horse completely caught me off guard,” Dominguez said afterward. “… I decided to hit him left-handed … and he made a right hand turn. … The horse just kind of overreacted.”

Slide show

• Images of the Triple Crown

See images from the 2005 Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes.

Before the 26-year-old Rose could yank back on the reins, one of Alex’s front feet hit one of Scrappy T’s rear hooves — a frequently disastrous collision known as “clipping heels” in racing terminology. The impact caused Afleet Alex to begin to fall forward, almost as if someone tripped a human runner as he was sprinting for the wire.

But as Afleet Alex went down nearly to his knees, sending Rose sliding forward out of his saddle, the colt somehow managed to stab forward with one foot in the blink of an eye, catching his 1,100-plus-pound frame and then lifting it and his rider skyward.

“I thought for sure we were going down,” an amazed Rose said at the post-race news conference. “I was going to try to go down with him as close as I could, because I figured that was my best shot of getting away. Luckily he came right back up underneath.”

The jockey, a former high-school wrestler from State College, Pa., said the horse deserved at least 90 percent of the credit, with his role limited to grabbing onto Afleet Alex’s mane and using it to maintain his balance.

After regaining his feet, Afleet Alex quickly got back to the business at hand. Despite having lost all momentum, the son of Northern Afleet shifted back to high gear and caught Scrappy T in the upper stretch before pulling away to what might otherwise have been called an easy victory.

lovely nugget: farm animals are not the same as race horses. it can be argued that animals 'chose' to become domesticated because it gave them a chance to carry their species. you feed me and take care of me, i'd be your guard dog..or i'd be your carrier..or i'll give you milk/meat/hide/eggs if you let me have my young. even michel pollan touches upon this in his latest nyt piece. but the point is...this agreement, as it were, is broken when racehorses are used for entertaiment and tossed away. not all of them, as some here have pointed out. it seems such a shame especially given that the role of thoroughbreds is not even close to that of a farm animal.

eta: breeding of thoroughbreds is already carefully controlled to keep a hold on the millions of dollars they will fetch. there is nothing but a love of money that keeps this industry alive and well.

also, ln, a lot of people i have worked with actually are in favour of letting nature 'take it's course'. we dont always save an animal out in the wild from grim death.

wildhorses1te9.jpg

(copyright belongs to me)

feral ponies - grayson, virginia

lovely nugget: farm animals are not the same as race horses. it can be argued that animals 'chose' to become domesticated because it gave them a chance to carry their species. you feed me and take care of me, i'd be your guard dog..or i'd be your carrier..or i'll give you milk/meat/hide/eggs if you let me have my young. even michel pollan touches upon this in his latest nyt piece. but the point is...this agreement, as it were, is broken when racehorses are used for entertaiment and tossed away. not all of them, as some here have pointed out. it seems such a shame especially given that the role of thoroughbreds is not even close to that of a farm animal.

a cow that spends its life being forced to give milk twice a day is no better off than a horse that races. the same with a chicken stuck in a cage to give eggs.

animals chose to become domesticated? good one.

Just because it's common usage doesn't make it "right."

It's used within the profession, though. Which carries more weight than someone who is not in the profession saying it's not right to use it.

Bowed Tendons and the athletic horse

Mark F. James, DVM

The title of a paper from the Veterinary School at Purdue University

Just because it's common usage doesn't make it "right."

It's used within the profession, though. Which carries more weight than someone who is not in the profession saying it's not right to use it.

Disagree, of course. My comments related explicitly to ordinary usage, as distinct from metaphor. That this metaphor has been adopted as a term of art by interested parties doesn't surprise me. Equine athlete. How about bovine intellectual for smart cows?

it can be argued that animals 'chose' to become domesticated because it gave them a chance to carry their species.

Sorry, but a rational person cannot argue this.

eta: breeding of thoroughbreds is already carefully controlled to keep a hold on the millions of dollars they will fetch. there is nothing but a love of money that keeps this industry alive and well.

Once more, I ask, so what?

a cow that spends its life being forced to give milk twice a day is no better off than a horse that races. the same with a chicken stuck in a cage to give eggs.

so we'll take care of the cows and chickens too. no special treatment to horses only!

animals chose to become domesticated? good one.

you might want to take that up with richard dawkins.

eta for stone:

Once more, I ask, so what?

entertainment for human beings is not worth inflicting pain, suffering and cruelty imposed upon animals.

it can be argued that animals 'chose' to become domesticated because it gave them a chance to carry their species.

"Say, look here fella. Me and the rest of the cows over there were wondering you'd be willing to slaughter us next year provided that we get to hang out on this nice farm of yours and eat grass and corn in the meantime. Whad'ya say fella? Do we got a deal or what?"

"Say, look here fella. Me and the rest of the cows over there were wondering you'd be willing to slaughter us next year provided that we get to hang out on this nice farm of yours and eat grass and corn in the meantime. Whad'ya say fella? Do we got a deal or what?"

you are essentially mocking evolution here.