Truffles - what did I do wrong?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buying truffles is a real crap shoot, even in the best of circumstances. they vary terrifically in quality even in good years and in not-so-good years, well, it's way worse. i've been served absolutely tasteless truffles by some of the best chefs in the united states, so don't feel bad--they got took too.

a couple of years ago, we had a run of chinese black truffles showing up in fancy groceries, but labeled appropriately and at quite attractive prices--around $2 per truffle. you would never mistake these for great perigord truffles, but they did have some smell, which is more than you can say for most of the french black truffles we get here. and at $1 per person, you could be profligate with them.

Are summer truffles okay in the summer? Or just a different thing alltogether?

Summer Truffles are no good any time of year -funny that doesn't stop plenty of fancy restaurants in the US putting them on the menu. :lol:

[summer Truffles are no good any time of year -funny that doesn't stop plenty of fancy restaurants in the US putting them on the menu. :lol:

a gentle quibble: i've had them a few times that they actually had some flavor. but i'd definitely go along with "summer truffles are not worth the price restaurants charge for them."

a gentle quibble: i've had them a few times that they actually had some flavor. but i'd definitely go along with "summer truffles are not worth the price restaurants charge for them."

Well if you want to be pernickety about it. I suppose you are right. :lol:

black truffles need to be cooked. no need for white. the former has texture and the latter has aroma. how many gms? do you have any left?

hmm :lol: Sorry my dear girl but that's just so wrong in so many ways.

Need? What's up with all these food photos I've got from all these restaurants with black truffles simply shaved on to the plate then? Ok, some are shaved on to food cooked with truffles, but still, I've eaten or been served slices of uncooked black truffles more times than I can count. They are hardly a novelty, uncooked black truffles.

Yes, it's true that they could use some heat to enhance the aroma, but 'need' is a strong word. If your black truffle has no aroma at all in the natural stage, it's probably not very good to begin with.

Black truffles used for texture? Now that's a new concept for me. tongue.gif

black truffles need to be cooked. no need for white. the former has texture and the latter has aroma. how many gms? do you have any left?

hmm :lol: Sorry my dear girl but that's just so wrong in so many ways.

Need? What's up with all these food photos I've got from all these restaurants with black truffles simply shaved on to the plate then? Ok, some are shaved on to food cooked with truffles, but still, I've eaten or been served shaved, uncooked black truffles more times than I can count. It's hardly a novelty, uncooked black truffles.

Yes, it's true that they could use some heat to enhance the aroma, but 'need' is a strong word. If your black truffle has no aroma at all in the natural stage, it's probably not very good to begin with.

Black truffles used for texture? Now that's a new concept for me. :lol:

black truffles need warmth to release aromas. of course, you can sandwich black truffle slices between slices of brie or something like that.. and keep it aside for a while..and achieve the same result as the warming action. but that would take time.

were these black truffles shaved over warm food?

i see that you have arrived to the 'needing heat' part of it..:lol:

well..i cant see why you might think 'texture' is irrelevant to black truffles. dont you think it's different from white truffle? also, the black truffles have that bumpy skin like thingy? white truffles dont have that. black truffle transports you through taste buds and white truffle is fully appreciated through aroma alone. black truffle does withstand cooking and the heat does work in it's favour.

so...i dont think i was so wrong in so many ways.

I'm having a dramatic morning. :lol:

I'm being persnickety (but mom, Russ did it first!). But I was just quibbling with the 'need' part of it. It could use heat, yes, I don't dispute that. But if it 'needs' heat to smell like anything good then it's not very good to begin with. Tis my point.

Well, frankly, uncooked black truffles are sometimes shaved over dishes with cooked black truffles to highlight the texture contrast between the cooked and uncooked bits, but I don't think that black truffles are generally thought of as a 'textural' part of a composition of a dish. You know, not like crunchy lettuce or something.

The skin thingy you speak of doesn't really become a factor in a dish since most times black truffles are served shaved and not whole like an apple. Well, of course, unless you are at L'Ambroisie eating that heavenly baked truffle in puff pastry thingy. :lol:

I'm having a dramatic morning. :lol:

I'm being persnickety (but mom, Russ did it first!). But I was just quibbling with the 'need' part of it. It could use heat, yes, I don't dispute that. But if it 'needs' heat to smell like anything good then it's not very good to begin with. Tis my point.

Well, frankly, uncooked black truffles are sometimes shaved over dishes with cooked black truffles to highlight the texture contrast between the cooked and uncooked bits, but I don't think that black truffles are generally thought of as a 'textural' part of a composition of a dish. You know, not like crunchy lettuce or something.

The skin thingy you speak of doesn't really become a factor in a dish since most times black truffles are served shaved and not whole like an apple. Well, of course, unless you are at L'Ambroisie eating that heavenly baked truffle in puff pastry thingy. :lol:

in my experience, black truffles do have texture(which white truffles lack..whites are much superior in aroma tho') and it is close to what i'd call crunchy.

eta: i wasnt speaking of the textural input a truffle brings to a dish..i was speaking of the texture of black truffle itself.

eta2: well..of course, black truffles dont 'need' heat to release the aroma. but without heat, how will it distribute its distinctive aroma in a dish? so i still stand by my statement that a black truffle needs to be cooked for best results and that it does have a texture component that the white truffle lacks...the white truffle, for example needs to shaved to expose maximum surface area because that maximised the aroma released. black truffle, on the other hand, is cut thick. and this is to exploit its texture component.

its a shame truffles are so expensive that not everyone can afford to be served a whole truffle..i certainly cant afford it... here is one more oldie(i dont know..bocuse?) for a big fat baby, chicken consomme with a whole black truffle in it..with a puff pastry hat..:lol:

Once you shave them thin, thin -given of course that you have both ripe and fresh black and white truffles- the texture difference between black and white in my experience is not *that* great. Munching on them like an apple, on the other hand, I confess I've not tried. :lol:

Well, in the end, we are splitting words, and I've got a lovely an aromatic cup of coffee waiting for me at Monmoth. So off I go. Ta!

(oh, hey, and did you see the shots I posted from my new Leica. I think you'd be interested. In the Digicam thread, btw.)

Once you shave them thin, thin -given of course that you have both ripe and fresh black and white truffles- the texture difference between black and white in my experience is not *that* great. Munching on them like an apple, on the other hand, I confess I've not tried. :lol:

Well, in the end, we are splitting words, and I've got a lovely an aromatic cup of coffee waiting for me at Monmoth. So off I go. Ta!

(oh, hey, and did you see the shots I posted from my new Leica. I think you'd be interested. In the Digicam thread, btw.)

borough on saturday, yea?...and coffee at monmouth! enjoy!!

(lookin' now at the leica pictures)

probably too late in the season already..but for anyone who is still shopping around, here is a killer(but deceptively simple) pasta sauce with truffles.

Black truffled Strangozzi(it is like spaghetti..only thicker so that the sauce can cling to the pasta)

Ingredient for 6 people:

strangozzi 500gm

extra-virgin olive oil 100 gm

truffles, sliced -100gm(can substitute truffle paste. please dont use truffle oil)

one clove of garlic

one anchovy, deboned

salt and pepper

warm oil. garlic+chopped anchovy. the anchovy would have completely melted into the hot oil.

remove the garlic(the garlic is for infusing the oil) and let the oil cool down.

add the finely sliced/chopped/grated truffles(or truffle paste..but go for the real deal!)

cook the pasta al dente. toss in truffle sauce. serve.