• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My lovely Dad will be at a palliative care symposium next week. Can we recommend anywhere for him to dine?

Not much of a historic bar culture in the city--surprise. The oldest bar seems to be designed like a Swiss chalet. Since it only has a capacity of 25 people, I'll check the weather before schlepping

We're leaving Monday for SLC. I honestly don't recall if I've ever been there. I asked around for dining suggestions. My stepdaughter has a good friend who lives in SLC. She asked him to make some re

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't spent any significant amount of time in SLC in years. But one distinctive feature of the dining scene there is the Greek burger joint. There are a number of them, some affiliated, some not. They go by names like Royal Burger, Crown Burger, Apollo Burger, etc. The menus are often eclectic, with Greek, Mexican, and even Chinese items, in some locations. The main draw, though, is always the signature burger, usually featuring the restaurant's name. It'll be a quarter pound of flame-broiled beef, quarter pound of pastrami, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and house sauce. Good stuff. For an interesting profile on this phenomenon, check out this article from a few years ago. For a picture and description of the burger (along with a write-up and photos from Red Iguana, which is also worthwhile), see ExtraMSG's report at this link.

Scott

• 2 years later...
Guest Aaron T

Has anyone been to Salt Lake City in the past few years? I am going to be there for one night and based on some quick online research was leaning towards Red Iguana, which gets a lot of praise. Is that my best bet? Any other ideas?

I've been quite often for business in the past year. I stay at Hotel Monaco and the restaurant in the hotel, Bambara, is quite good. I also liked Metropolitan, Spencer's Steakhouse, but the best meal I had there was at Cucina Toscana. It was really good and would rank with Italian restaurants in NYC. Most of the other good meals I had were up the hill in Park City.

oh, and bonus, they got rid of that stupid liquor law where you have to join a club to get drinks.

Guest Aaron T

Cucina Toscana was/is closed on Sunday nights so I stuck to the original plan and went with several colleagues to the Red Iguana. I had a good Mole Negro with chicken and a decent margarita. There was a 20 minute wait, even at 8:45 on a sunday night. Mole was flavorful and plentiful.

They brought out 5 moles for us to try before we ordered, so we could taste them with the free chips and decide which mole we wanted.

(snip)

oh, and bonus, they got rid of that stupid liquor law where you have to join a club to get drinks.

That was done in the run up to the Olympics. Even the LDS Church, which opposed prior efforts to change the law, held its fire.

(snip)

That was done in the run up to the Olympics. Even the LDS Church, which opposed prior efforts to change the law, held its fire.

It was just done a couple months ago. It was in place when I was there in the spring.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see the recommendations for Mexican food there. Sounds like we'll go to Red Iguana too.

Re the alcohol -- there was this article recently on NPR about the Zion Curtain:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=104155955

Until recently, Utah bartenders could not serve alcoholic drinks to patrons over the bar counter. Instead, bartenders and patrons were separated by a partition called the "Zion Curtain," a reference to the Mormon Church. But under a new law that took effect this week, restaurants can rip out that barrier. Catherine Lauderback, assistant manager at Salt Lake City's Faustina restaurant, offers her insight.

We'll be there for New Year's so all alcohol-related news is interesting for us. :)

• 4 months later...

The Red Iguana was indeed fabulous. They'd just opened another location in mid-December, so they were telling some of the people in the line outside the door to go to the other one if they were just a couple, as the new place has a bar and it's easier to get seated there. The complete menu is here.

And Utah has breweries too -- Polygamy Porter was one of our favorites, but there were lots.

And the skiing was fantastic, apparently even better late January when there's more snow.

Lamb's Grill is a neat old (90 years+) restaurant right downtown. Old fashioned entrees but well done, fresh homemade bread. Dining either at an old lunch counter or at an old fashioned, wood paneled dining room.

http://lambsgrill.com/

We were there for lunch, but I've heard the breakfast is also great.

Also, good beer and pub food at Squatter's Brewery downtown. http://www.squatters.com/

I also had a nice coffee and German/Austrian torte at Siefried's Deli downtown.

• 4 years later...

red iguana is still good. (based on one meal, I know nothing about mexican food, and so on) I had a superb mole colradito but a mole sampler someone else at the table got convinced me that I ordered wrong, most of the seven other moles they offer were better than mine, especially the mole poblano and mole negro. my wife had a pale green mole made with pistachios and wine from the specials list that was just great. even the chicken in the chicken quesadilla my kid had was good. this is one of only a handful of places I've been where I liked the food and couldn't finish an entree and an appetizer, and while I don't think anyone should order it the roast peppers with chorizo and cheese are very nice. there was a wait at 2 on a saturday. I went to the original location, they have another restaurant and a fast food concept in the mall near temple square that I didn't get to try.

I also had a nice schwarma and bangladeshi fried chicken at curry fried chicken on state, horrible coffee at coffee garden, good tacos at taqueria el vaquero in provo, and an acceptable meal at red rock in salt lake. I'd be very happy if red iguana, taqueria el vaquero, or curry fried chicken were near where I lived in new york. in n out is okay. I'd rather have shake shack offer their burgers and fries animal style than have an in'n out in the fulton mall. we also had a terrible meal at a carl's jr, which was actually terrible, awful, shite, inedible, shit, atrocious, shockingly bad, etc the way the dictionary uses those words. one of the people I ate with assures me carl's jr is much better in new zealand.

in the unlikely event that someone reading this is looking for hiking appropriate for three year olds in the uintas the walk to ruth lake from the road is very nice, you get close to the tree line, walk around a stream on the way to the lake, and the drive up has some impressive views of the mountains. the air quality in salt lake is very good, but the quality of the air in the mountains is really striking. that part of the trip was marred by an open carry activist lurking in the trees and an insane accident that probably cost two people their lives and forced us to take a detour.

my thoughts on the beers I tried are in the appropriate thread, but I strongly disagree with the mild praise above.

finally we had a great meal at forage that I'll write up tomorrow.